Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a perplexing issue that I really need help with. I host my own web site from my home on a Windows 2000 AD network. It works fine, everyone can access my site, no problem. I have one wired and two wireless desktops which have joined my domain, so they log in every time they boot. They are all fine. My new laptop, however, can not see my web page, either as the www (http://www.barr26.com) or host name. I simply get "Page Cannot Be Displayed".

This laptop is not on the domain, and I would prefer to not put it on since it would be a hassle to change it around anytime I wanted to be remote. I had posted a similar question before but was using a combination of a LinkSys wired and separate LinkSys wireless routers. My configuration was kind of a mess, so I figured simplifying things would help. I just installed a new D-Link DGL-4300 combo router. It does simplify things a lot, but my web site problem remains. What do I need to do to allow my laptop to get through to my site?

Thanks!

-Rick

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
The router needs to have the HTTP forwarding enabled for that to work. Get the IP from the DHCP page and use that to fill in the HTTP forwarding portion. Also make sure that any software firewalls are disabled while testing. The HTTP forwarding will open only the necessary ports (usually 80) and nothing else.

·
Banned
66 Posts
When reading this i didn't quite understand how the laptop was connected to this computer in any way (either LAN or Internet)

Please explain and i might be able to help

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I'm assuming they are all on one router now. If that's the case he can test it by simply typing that computer's name into the address field of a browser. If the server software is running it'll display a page or site. To get that to work externally you need to route through the router.

·
Banned
66 Posts
You can type an ip address in as well (Don't forget if you're laptop is in the same network as the Webserver, you need to type the internal ip address of the webserver computer)

Also, if your server is listening on a different port (other than 80) you need to type this in as well

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Hey Barr26,

That is an odd issue. Maybe your Internet Browser Prefix has changed itself from the default HTTP. Try checking that. :sayyes:

Have a fun and computing day,
Grove

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.