Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wifes computer seems to be stuck in sleep mode. When she turns it on it goes straight to the advanced boot menu, however whatever option you select (including safe mode), it says that it is going back into sleep mode.
The pc definitely switches on and the fan is running. Have tried numerous other thing like unplugging everything except mouse and keyboard, checking all the cables, holding down the power button etc but nothing seems to make any difference. As I can't get anything up on the monitor is there any way of trying to boot it up from the XP disc. Would appreciate any assistance as it is driving me crazy. :upset:

·
TSF Emeritus
15,080 Posts
Hello and welcome.

**Please note: You will need a Windows XP CD for this exercise**

Insert a Windows XP CD into your CD/DVD drive.
Restart your computer.
It should now be booting off your Windows XP disc.
If it doesn't boot off the CD. Follow the steps below:

Change boot order in BIOS
  • When your computer is starting up tap the Del key and until you enter the Bios, when in Bios click on Boot order and change it to :
    • CD/DVD
    • Hard Drive (HDD)
    • Floppy
  • Then save and exit Bios (Your computer should now be restarting)

While it is booting off the disk you should get a prompt to Press R to enter recovery Console, Press R.

Press 1 to log onto Windows then press Enter. You will need the administrative password to get into to command prompt. If the administrator password was blank press enter.

Type into the command prompt : chkdsk /r and press Enter. When the Disc Check is complete type in Exit and press enter. Remove the Windows XP CD.

Windows should start up normally now.

Please post back with any concerns or problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many many thanks. I'll have to wait till I get home after work to run
thru what you've suggested and see if it works. I'll let you know the
result tonight. Again, thank you, it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went through all of what you suggested and while it did find a couple of problems there, it didn't solve the main issue, which was getting out of
sleep mode. I'm beginning to think that I may have a problem with my
video card or something similar, so will take it down and have it looked at.
Just wanted to let you know how appreciative I am for your help. Thank
you very much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.