Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unable to get "Computer network settings" to match "requirements of the Network"

Hi
I've come back home on holiday from university and am having trouble with reconnecting to my home wireless network.

When I started uni, I had to change settings on my browser(Firefox) and computer to connect to the university network. The instructions for which or here if they are any help (Configure your laptop/PC :: Wireless Access at Aberdeen - DIT, University of Aberdeen click on windows7).

Currently, the wireless network I'm trying to connect to is a BTHomeHub with "shared" "WEP" settings. What do my computer settings need to be for this?

Hopefully someone can help, thanks :)

·
Premium Member
41,817 Posts
Re: Unable to get "Computer network settings" to match "requirements of the Network"

Go to Start/Search and type inetcpl.cpl right click the inetcpl.cpl icon in the search results and Run As Administrator. go to /Connections/LAN Settings. Make sure all the boxes are unchecked. Now go to Start/Search and type ncpa.cpl right click the ncpa.cpl icon and Run As Administrator. now Right click the Local Area connection/Properties scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP-IP IPV4)/Properties. Make sure Obtain an IP Address and DNS Server Address Automatically are both checked. Now go to Start/Search and type CMD Right click the CMD.exe icon and choose Run As Administrator. In the Command Prompt type ipconfig /release and press enter. the IP Address changes to 0.0.0.0 Now type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter. Now type ipconfig /renew. Now type ipconfig /all. You should have a new IP address try it again. If you still cannot connect please include the text output of your ipconfig /all in your next post

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Unable to get "Computer network settings" to match "requirements of the Network"

Hi thanks for quick reply. Followed all above steps and still no success.
How do I include text output? I am communicating with you via ipad so can't copy it over.
For Local Area Connection itsaid:

"Wireless LAN adaptor Wireless Network Connection:
Media State...:Media Disconnected
Connection-specificDNS suffix...:
Description...:Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
Physical address...:90-4C-E5-62-BB-40
DHCP enabled...:Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled...: Yes"

Cheers

·
Premium Member
41,817 Posts

To copy the text of ipconfig /all select the text (CTRL+A) copy it (CTRL+C) open up Notepad and Paste it into Notepad (CTRL+V) save the Notepad file to a USB Flash Drive and upload it as an attachment from another computer in your next post. Do you have a wireless switch on the front of your laptop? is it set to ON? Do you see a wireless icon in your system tray by the clock? Can you view wireless networks? Try removing the wireless profiles. If you have the wireless turned on but no wireless icon, go to Start/Search and type devmgmt.msc. Right click the devmgmt.msc icon and choose Run As Administrator. In the Device Manager do you see any yellow marks under Network Adapters? If so, on an internet computer you will have to download the driver for your wireless adapter from your computer manufacturers support/download drivers site.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.