Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to format a hard drive on my computer and it says it is unable to format the drive. The hard drive is a Maxtor 20gb drive and the motherboard is a chaintech 6bjm0 i think. The drive is recognized as the primary slave so it isn't a bad hard drive. The drive worked fine in xp, which is on another drive, and I decided I wanted to run windows 2000 on the 20gb. So I booted up with the cd and everything was working fine and then it said it was unable to format the drive. I was thinking that I might need to manually enter the drive information in the bios, like the cylinders, heads, and sectors but I don't have a clue. I don't want to just go get a new hard drive because I just replaced my power supply today. Any help at all would be appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
fixed it

Well, I am up at 3:25am but I finally found my problem. If anybody runs into this similar problem, check to ensure that your jumpers are set to the correct pins because it may cause your computer to mistake your 20gb as an 80gb which isn't right and just messes things up. So even if you have two drives that are the same brand, don't just assume that the slave settings for one drive are the same for the other as I did.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.