Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an odd problem. When I goto the Windows Update site, it scans my computer for updates I require. After choosing from the list I want to download, I start the download process. However, I keep getting the message that download failed for each of the files I try to download.

I can manually download updates by going to the downloads section of the MS site. I was able to use the update site about 6 weeks ago, however I have a feeling that by using AdAware, I might have deleted something inadvertently.

I have no problem downloading from other sites. I have disabled my firewall to see if that was causing the issue, but it didn't help.

Your assistance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Have you checked to see auto-update isn't disabled? go to start > run > services.msc and look through the list. Windows update should be set to automatic if you want auto-updates.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problems with windows update

I found the following when I was having similar problems. I was trying to run the windows update service and it would stall. I then tried manually installing the updates and they failed to install. I followed the directions below and ran the windows update fine and had no more problems. Good luck!

Try registering the following:

Click Start, select Run and type (pressing enter after each one and wait for the
success message):

net.exe stop wuauserv
Press Ok

Repeat for the following:
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 atl.dll

net.exe start wuauserv

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been Fighting this Same Problem for Months

Sorry for the long reply, but I have also been experiencing this exact same condition for months.

It is hard to say when mine started, but I believe it was when the required installing new software at the windowsupdate site.
I actually contacted M$ for e-mail support and carried on testing for a month before he gave up and asked me to call M$.
One of the first things he had me try was the same process that Lockha recommended, needless to say it didn't work. He had me try dozens of other remedies to no success.
I am a Netware Admin and need to download a lot of files and downloading has now stalled on anything of any size, I believe it is related.
When I first go to windowsupdate IE crashes and the second time it scans, but never starts a download or it starts and stalls part way through. Same thing with downloads from Novell.
I did apply the SP2 blocker for a few months so my automatic download wouldn't download it but I shouldn't have worried. After I used the unblocker to get SP2 it wouldn't download, in fact the autoupdater had stopped long ago and I was thinking this would get it started again.
I did a download and installed SP2, didn't help.
Sometimes when I first boot up I get the updater on the taskbar, saying it is downloading, but it never gets off 0%.
so my guess is:
1.) new autodate software
2.) the SP2 blocker
3.) corrupted windows (although I have run <sfc /scannow> countless times)

If anyone has any ideas I would be glad to hear them. I will need to call M$ for an answer soon.
Thanking you in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is working now

For some strange reason i got mine to work again. The only thing I remember doing is going into Tool|Options and resetting all the IE settings to their defaults. And presto it worked again. This may just be a coincedence..but it's working now for me!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update to windows Update

More input. I purchased two new Dell Optiplex GX280s this week and after installing the new Windows Update software (1st visit to windows Update) neither one could even start downloading any of the new critical updates Microsoft came out with this week.
I opened a new case with Microsoft, we will see.

One would think we had a firewall or policy blocking the needed ports we do not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Case Escalated

Note to Jim in response to your e-mail with no return address.

I will report back if I get an answer. Microsoft has escalated the case after finding out that new computers with sp2 installed initially cannot even start a download from Windows Update, Critical or Optional.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.