Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a folder created on my desktop that I had used to store bittorrent files. Just the torrent files themselves, not the actual file. I have no need for this folder anymore, but I'm not allowed to delete it. Whenever I try I get an error deleting file message. Under the folders properties it says there are zero bytes in the folder, although there are two hidden files inside the folder. Both files basically dont exist. They're both 0KB. The file names are CAJP5ZM6. and CA6R4JV0. I've tried booting into safe mode, that didnt work. I've tried closing out explorer.exe and trying to delete through the msdos window, didnt work. I've tried the program MoveOnBoot. Didnt work. So basically I've tried everything I could pull up a search on. There has to be a way to get rid of this folder and files, but how do you delete what is essentially already deleted?

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
What are the security settings on this folder?

Boot into Safe Mode and log on as Administrator. Right click on the folder and select "Security".

Click on "Advanced", then click on the "Owner" tab. Take ownership of the folder and all files (use the administrators group).

You should then be able to delete it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I logged in using safe mode, but the file wasnt located under the admin account so I had to go into my personal account. In the security tab everything said I had full access to the folder. So in other words. This method didnt work either. I have found out however that for some reason the folder is set up as read-only. Any attempt to uncheck the read-only attribute basically results in the same thing that happens when I try to delete the files and/or folder. Windows cant locate the file to do anything with it. I've been around and inside windows for a long time and this is a first for me. I've never had these, what I like to call, "ghost files". Very annoying, yet minor annoyance. Back to square one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did you log into the admin account and then locate the folder through the c:\documents and settings\youruserid\desktop?

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, tried the DelLater program...didnt work. Nothing works, this problem is bigger than us all. There are evil spirits alive inside my Windows, plotting against me. And these ghost files are at the center of it all. :dead: When I try to access my personal desktop under admin in safe mode it doesnt let me in at all. I'm not sure why. My account isnt password protected. ..:sigh:. Looks like I might be heading for a clean install. This is the oddest of oddities that I've had to deal with in winblows. What sucks is its not something so common that there are abundant resources for a remedy. The files themselves are gone and deleted, but the icon still likes to hang around. These ghost files shouldnt be read-only. I've tried several ways to remove that attribute, but when you get a cant find file error all the time, it doesnt help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do believe even the Father would be powerless against this spawn from the right armpit of satan. Anyone have an external drive I could borrow to temporarily store my goods whilst I reformat? I've been at this problem sporadically for a few months to no avail. Just when you think windows cant get any buggier.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.