Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how this happened, but it's terribly annoying. Everytime I open an application where I have to browse for a file to upload, it opens for 2 seconds and then closes the program completely. For instance, I tried to browse a file in my videos to upload a onto windows movie maker, and it completely closed windows movie maker and the my videos folder. I ran AVG Anti Virus, Malwarebytes, and nothing. I also tried to do a system restore, but I can't because I can't go back on the calendar to find a later date that my computer was restored. I'm so frustrated and I'm ready to throw my laptop out of the window. I think this started when I tried to download a dvd to avi converter called vidomi. Everything was fine until I downloaded and ran this. I deleted vidomi from my computer though.

Help Me Please!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have had this exact same problem. I got it from the Creative ZEN software (the ZEN itself is awesome. The software, not so much). The only way I know to fix this is to reinstall Windows. I and my ex-IT department tried a whole load of things to try and fix it, and ultimately, we ghosted. My recommendation is to get a NON-WINDOWS file browser (I use FreeCommander) because then you can go through and back up important files. You will get error messages in various folders - these will crash the program (like you are noticing). That's okay. DO NOT do this in Explorer, because it will crash the entire computer, and that's a pain to deal with. Then, reinstall Windows. If you really want to try and not reinstall, I recommend starting out by defragmenting - I was getting signs of this happening again a month ago (dunno what instigated it, though), and a defragment cleared them up.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
The problem seems to be with explorer.exe crashing. You could try the system file checker before reinstalling : start => run => sfc /scannow (mind the space after sfc). If this is a retail installation you may be asked for your XP CD. You'll need a CD with the same service pack as what's installed on your computer, if you installed SP3 then google for "slipstream SP3" to learn how to create an XP SP3 CD (you can use another computer to create the CD). There's a bug with sfc that makes it ask for the XP Pro CD on XP Home installations, just keep hitting retry and it'll copy the files eventually.

What version of Windows XP do you have installed ? Home, Pro, MCE ? What service pack ? Oem (preinstalled with some brand computer) or retail (you installed XP using a retail XP CD) ?

If sfc doesn't work then if this is a retail installation you can do a repair install. Report here so we can give you the proper steps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did the system file checker and it scaned, but no message was displayed afterwards. Should I do something else? I'm running the panda active scan now and will post my results in the HJT log section.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem seems to be with explorer.exe crashing. You could try the system file checker before reinstalling : start => run => sfc /scannow (mind the space after sfc). If this is a retail installation you may be asked for your XP CD. You'll need a CD with the same service pack as what's installed on your computer, if you installed SP3 then google for "slipstream SP3" to learn how to create an XP SP3 CD (you can use another computer to create the CD). There's a bug with sfc that makes it ask for the XP Pro CD on XP Home installations, just keep hitting retry and it'll copy the files eventually.

What version of Windows XP do you have installed ? Home, Pro, MCE ? What service pack ? Oem (preinstalled with some brand computer) or retail (you installed XP using a retail XP CD) ?

If sfc doesn't work then if this is a retail installation you can do a repair install. Report here so we can give you the proper steps.

I have Windows office XP standard for students and teachers. I purchased this, but I can't find the key. I will look for it now.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
That's the Microsoft Office CD not the XP install CD. Is this some brand computer or a custom build ? If it's a brand computer then what's the brand and model ? Unless it's a Dell you won't have the option to do a repair installation.

Go to start => run and type winver. Tell us what version of Windows you have.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Seems Compaq allows for a repair installation of XP, check this document :
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&dlc=en&cc=us&os=228&rule=2897&product=500508

I would first backup your stuff on an external hard drive, sometimes repairing an OEM installation can make you lose your personal data (your documents and the files on the desktop). If you can't use windows to transfer you data then boot on an Ubuntu live CD and copy your data on an external USB drive.

If you don't have the OS CD that came with the computer then you can order the recovery disks from HP :
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&dlc=en&cc=us&os=228&rule=2897&product=500508
Be warned that the recovery disks may not allow for a repair install, usually they format the drive and reinstall the factory default system, so make sure you backup your data before starting the recovery process. Here's how you use the recovery disks : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&cc=us&os=228&rule=2897&product=500508#N1688.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was hoping that I didn't have to do this. Is there any other way? I don't know if this is the same virus, but now I can't charge my ipod on my laptop. Do you know why this is? Also, should I wait until someone responds to my hijack post to reinstall windows xp? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
You'd better wait for the advice of the security team but please be patient, it'll take several days before you get a reply. Don't bump your thread in HJT, the analysts search for unanswered threads and start with the oldest. I merged your 2 posts into 1 to make your thread look like an unanswered thread.

You can already backup your stuff in the mean time. Save your data on CD's or on an external USB drive (they're cheap nowadays). Most CD burning programs use the explorer.exe process to browse the computer and copy files, if that process is damaged on your computer you may not be able to backup your stuff within Windows so you may need to use the Ubuntu live CD (it's free, use another computer to download and create it and follow the instructions in my previous post).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You'd better wait for the advice of the security team but please be patient, it'll take several days before you get a reply. Don't bump your thread in HJT, the analysts search for unanswered threads and start with the oldest. I merged your 2 posts into 1 to make your thread look like an unanswered thread.

You can already backup your stuff in the mean time. Save your data on CD's or on an external USB drive (they're cheap nowadays). Most CD burning programs use the explorer.exe process to browse the computer and copy files, if that process is damaged on your computer you may not be able to backup your stuff within Windows so you may need to use the Ubuntu live CD (it's free, use another computer to download and create it and follow the instructions in my previous post).

Thank you for all your help! :pray: I just recieved my operating system CD and application and driver recovery DVD. I'll reinstall everything Tomorrow. Thanks so much again!

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Ok, don't forget that even if the XP CD allows for a repair installation you should backup your personal data to stay on the safe side.

If you have IE7 installed you'll need to uninstall it before you do the repair installation or it'll be corrupted and you won't be able to access the internet. If you can't uninstall it with add/remove programs this article explains how to uninstall it using the recovery console : How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed (to access the recovery console boot on the XP CD and press 'R' at the first installation screen).

Once your data is safe and you have uninstalled IE7 proceed with the repair installation : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&dlc=en&cc=us&os=228&rule=2897&product=500508
You may need to reinstall some programs and the latest windows updates afterwards.

If the repair installation isn't an option or doesn't solve your problem you'll need to format and reinstall from scratch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried to repair the installation CD and I followed all of the steps, but I keep getting to a screen that says something along the lines of "which version of windows do you want to repair" and I type in 1 (that seems like the only option) and then it asks for my password and I type that in. Then, it tells me to type in a command. I have no clue what to do from here.

Also, when backing up things from my CPU, do I have to backup everything that's in my documents folder and things like itunes? That would take 21 CDs and I have a usb drive that stores 1GB.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so I reparied Windows xp using the operating CD and nothing. I still can't upload files. Should I reinstall windows next time?

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
To repair Windows XP you need to press 'enter' to 'setup windows xp now' at the first screen. Pressing 'R' there will only take you to the recovery console. Press F8 to accept the licence agreement then you'll be taken on a screen with your drive and partitions. Select the partition where XP is installed and press 'R' to 'Repair the selected installation".

If you've done that and it didn't work then yes, last option would be to reinstall from scratch.

Buy an external USB drive to backup your stuff, they're cheap these days. (if you're in europe you can't order from newegg, just buy the drive from your local computer shop).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so I just reinstalled Windows XP, finally! So what do I do to get my computer back to normal. My computer screen is also wobbly. I have my application and driver recovery dvd, should I use that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How do I do this? Do I do this from the Application and driver CD? I also have no sound and the screen is wobbly. How can I fix this?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.