Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My previous system consisted of 2 hard drives, 1 IBM SCSI [the Boot drive] and a Maxtor 40GB Drive [used mostly for Data, No O/s installed]. The system was WIN 98SE. I just added a Maxtor 80GB drive and installed XP Professional on it. The old Maxtor is now installed as a slave on the MB, with the New Maxtor as Master and IS being recognized. Unfortunately I cannot access the IBM SCSI [the old boot device]. It shows up under device manager and states it's working properly, but is invisible to My Computer. Any help appreciated.

· Registered
25,231 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

What is the make and model of you scsi controller card ?????? do you have termination on the far end of the scsi cable (farthest from controller card)

how do things check out when you enter the scsi bios / then go intot he scsi utilities and activate the "verify disk" command on the IBM drive ?????

regards

joe

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Re IBM SCSI

Hi:

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I didn't get around to acknowledging it sooner. I have an Aadaptec 29160 SCSI card. Although I previously had 3 devices hooked up to it , the IBM SCSI is the only one now. I haven't tried going into the SCSI utilities, but have disconnected the new drive, changed the BIOS over and booted from the IBM. It does show up on the POST screen as does SCSI BIOS.

Kevin

· Registered
25,231 Posts
Ok I think I understand your problem better now. The system will work with scsi drives and IDE drives mixed, but then again you already know that !!

I think the problem you are having is your IDE controller and bios were or are set to boot the IDE drive with an OS on it ?? and you scsi bios is ALSO trying to boot the IBM drive as the scsi bios will have the IBM drive configured as a bootable drive with an OS on it / you will need to enter your scsi bios and stop or disable the boot instructions of the scsi bios. :4-thatsba

The 29160 is a top notch card !!

post back and let us know of your progress

regards

joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.