Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but couldn't find anything. I'm running the 550W version of this power supply. It hasn't given me any noticeable problems. I know I'm probably running on the low end but is what I have acceptable. I really don't want to buy another power supply. Supposedly this thing is SLI ready and supposed to be good enough but I wanted to get some more input. I plan on overclocking this system. Is overclocking going to pull that much more power that I need a better PSU?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hrm... looking at your system it looks like your pulling quite a lot with 2 7900's.
I'm sorry to say that the X-Finitys don't have very good reviews, and I wouldn't want to overclock with one, especially with the kind of power your already drawing. Overclocking uses more watts from the PSU, and also creates more heat in the case, lowering your effecitve wattage output of the PSU.
I'd say, if you really don't want to upgrade your supply, and it's working right now, then stick with it, just be careful and monitor your voltages carefully. If you see anything out of the ordinary, give us a shout here and we can help you get a new PSU. And to be honest, if I were you, I wouldn't even try to overclock with that PSU and rig. If you really want to overclock, I'd recomend the Antec Trio 650W. I have it and it's great: quiet, cool, and gives really good voltages. With that you could OC if you really wanted to.

·
Registered
399 Posts
the ultra x-finity is a good psu, oem is andyson. the amount of watts youre likely to use when overclocking your system is probably around 400-450w. its not going over the limit of your psu, but you usually dont want to be that close to the psu's limits.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank You everbody. You have convinced me its not worth the trouble or problems I might encounter being that close to the edge. If nothing else just the fact that the 750W will likely run cooler. This PSU also has a 80% efficeincy rating and is modular. Stuff I like. It's this Silverstone PSU. Shopping around its the one that has what what I want for the least amount of money I could find. $159.99 Free shipping. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256009&ATT=17-256-009&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch I was also looking at the Seasonic M12 700W. $218 Its looks like a good one but I don't like the price compared to the Silverstone. Thanks again. :smile:

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
I did a search but couldn't find anything. I'm running the 550W version of this power supply. It hasn't given me any noticeable problems. I know I'm probably running on the low end but is what I have acceptable. I really don't want to buy another power supply. Supposedly this thing is SLI ready and supposed to be good enough but I wanted to get some more input. I plan on overclocking this system. Is overclocking going to pull that much more power that I need a better PSU?
Is it the one with FlexForce Cables and APFC or without?

I wouldn't recommend anything below 600W version for Ultra units. The X1 was no good. The X2 (X-Finity) below 600W was by Wintech IIRC and not like the >600W versions that are Andyson.

Not something decent IMO. Efficiency is low, not even close to some higher wattage X-Pro units.

The SilverStone Strider 750W is a good unit. The Zeus lineup is better than their newer Olympia or Decathlon line so far aswell.

Here's the SilverStone you found for $135.88: http://www.case-mod.com/silverstone-sst75f-st75f-strider-series-750w-750-watt-modular-power-supply-p-2027.html?src=fr

Should save you some $15 even with FedEx shipping.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Is it the one with FlexForce Cables and APFC or without?

I wouldn't recommend anything below 600W version for Ultra units. The X1 was no good. The X2 (X-Finity) below 600W was by Wintech IIRC and not like the >600W versions that are Andyson.

Not something decent IMO. Efficiency is low, not even close to some higher wattage X-Pro units.

The SilverStone Strider 750W is a good unit. The Zeus lineup is better than their newer Olympia or Decathlon line so far aswell.

Here's the SilverStone you found for $135.88: http://www.case-mod.com/silverstone-sst75f-st75f-strider-series-750w-750-watt-modular-power-supply-p-2027.html?src=fr

Should save you some $15 even with FedEx shipping.
Thanks, I should have waited just a little longer.. I already spent the money on the one from NewEgg. I'm gonna ask them if they can match this price. No harm is asking . :smile:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Diamond;

the Silverstone you just bought is a great high quality PSU FAR better than the Ultra

Floyd the Andyson Ultra units are not all that high quality; are you sure you are not confusing the newer Seventeam rebadged units that Ultra is selling now as X-Pro 750's these are decent, but for the $190.00 ish price tag I could buy a high class unit ( like the Seasonic 700 watt or ThermaltakeToughPower 700) without any worry of the name Ultra wearing off on it! :mad:

Here is the standard qaulity for Ultra we have all come to know and love!
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMxMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA== >>>>>>>>>>>> (see torture test page :mad: )

Here is the Seventeam built unit
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMxMiwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
The Ultra X-Pro 750W did an admirable job in all our tests performing at all levels we asked of it but it has the unenviable position of following the Corsair HX620W through our testing. The X-Pro 750W's raw performance accomplishments are capped by passing our torture test of running at ~80% of its rated out put at an ambient temperature of 45c for 8 hours in addition to passing all of our load tests at both 120v and 100v with a fairly wide margin. The one initial point of concern during testing was the drop on the 3.3v rail and the accompanying change in DC output that was seen in Test #4 at both 120v and 100v. This change however, remained within specifications and was NOT reproducible on a second X-Pro 750W unit. If the changes we initially saw on the 3.3v rail had been reproducible on second unit it would not have affected our overall recommendation to any great extent as the unit was within specifications at all times.

The Corsair is made by Seasonic its kind of sad when a 750watt gets out classed by a 620 watt!

Review Quote:

The Bottom Line

While there is no denying there are similarly to slightly better performing power supplies in the X-Pro 750W's target group; if someone is looking for a solid performing power supply that gets the basic job for which is was designed done, but with a bit of style, the Ultra X-Pro 750W is a great match. Undoubtedly though, the $199.99 price tag is a bit much to swallow, but as "real" 750 watt power supplies go, it is hardly over-the-top expensive. Keep your eyes open for rebates!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.