Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,
I have just bought the new altec lansing expressionist. The mid and high end sound are great but as for the bass. I am very disappointed. I had an old model of altec speakers and the bass is way better. I can barely hear the drum bass beat and you know the cone, hollow area where if u place a piece of paper in front of it, the paper will be vibrating. I've tried and the paper barely even move. I need to tune the bass really high up to see any effect. Thats the prob i think. The hollow, circular thing does almost nothing. And sometimes, sound get distorted.

I am just wondering is it because im using a laptop and an average soundcard(Conexant) or is it because of the speakers?

PLease advise.....

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Do the older Altec's sound better with your laptop?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I dont have the old one with me. So i wouldnt know. erm, how to say this exactly. it depends on the source of the music. If i play songs from youtube, if that song has powerful bass, then so will the sound that comes out. But if a song has average bass, and i crank up the bass level, the sound comes out muffled. The old altec, when there are drum bass beats, there will like blast of air coming out from the hollow part. but this one, i test with a piece of paper, the effect is minimun. but the bass, low freq part, works fine for me. the only prob is the hollow part(i dont know what it is called) , blast of air, etc. sorry i dont know what it is called exactly.

I thought i can fix the prob with creative x-fi xmod. the problem gets worse. Now i got crackling sound now and then when the music hits the high pitch part even when im not even using the x-fi. I updated all the drivers but it seems that it only alleviate but not eliminate the problems.

So is it possible that my speakers is damaged or is it my soundcard?

Im using VISTA HOME EDITION , AMD TURION X2, NVIDIA GRAPHICS GEFORCE, 2 GB, CONEXANT HI-DEF SMART AUDIO 221 and that is all.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Distortion from speakers is generally from overdriving or damage. Try the onboard sound.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was listening to a song. With the external speakers.

Then i switch off the speakers and use the laptop's speakers. The distortion is exactly the same.

So does this mean it is the soundcard's problem or the laptop speakers? the problem seems to get worse after i updated the drivers for the soundcard which is the softpaq and another one is to update my BIOS.

Thnks

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
If both speaker options have the same issue I have to assume the problem is hardware related. Another possibility is quality of the sound source.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think the sound source is the problem. The distortion comes and goes. The problem got worse only recently.

So, in your opinion, which hardware is faulty? the soundcard, laptop speaker or external speaker?

·
Banned
4,862 Posts
Sounds like the sound card. That would also explain the difference in bass quality between naturally loud and enhanced; low-end sound cards do well enough for just shuttling sound around but when you ask them to modify sounds they just can't hold up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks you guys! for telling me something 3 HP help advisors cant even tell me.

Is it possible to get a good external sound card and not something like the creative xmod? Any recommendation because i think the sound card is deteriorating.

Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.