Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright Guys i am in the midst of wanting to build a Ultimate Gaming Computer

i already have the Case ordered :sayyes:

But what i am looking for next is the Motherboard and card, and i further have some qustions about this particualr Motherboard...

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

But i read thru some of the forums or whatever on newegg, and there seems to be some problems with it as far as the Fan and other things go..

My Big questions are as follows?

1. I dont plan to buy 2 video cards for this even though it supports it, so can i just run a regular GForce video card on it? cause i ASSUME, that you have to have 2 Monitors for Dual cards, but i am not sure, cause i am not that 'puter Smart.

2. AM i able to Run just a regular EIDE HD on there? cause everyone i have talked to says "STAY AWAY" from Raid Drives.. ANd they Said get "Sata" drives, well i am not sure what those are, however they said that they are better.. are they right?

I am going to be installing WIndows XP Home edition on it, when i get it built.

Suggestions? :4-dontkno

But i definalty want the Seek time on the HD to be as fast as i can buy it to be.

Randy

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi,

1. the Sli mode of the card is not that you need two minotrs but it will allow the 2nd GPU to pickup in times of Load. The board must support SLI for a number of reasons i.e pipe sizes but it must also auto load balance. It doesn't mean that 3d games become twice as quick but apps get a large percentage point increase in performance. The card required to go into this MOBO is the PCI-x range of cards but does not have to be SLI to run

2. Yes the EIDE will run and looks as though it supports two HDD on the IDE channel with one cable provided? i assume it is a double not a single slot ribbon.
Yes stay away if you aren't going to use the benifits of raid. It has never been a hinderence in the Corporate community but they have the money to spend on this type of technology. It can increase throughput by 50% and increases the Data integrity/redundancy ratio to standards expected by highend users. (could you imagine having to backup TB's of data 2-3 years ago? A nightmare and that is where raid comes to the for) So its not horrible but costly for home users (home users usually don't realise what raid is and offers but in the IT industry it is one of a gambit of tools to increase there globalistic/wholistic ideas about the managment and protection of Data)

3. SATA drives are Serial versions of the Parallel drives. (P)ATA drives are the IDE type essentially. Heres a link to read.
http://www/techexams.net/technotes/apluscore/ide.shtml
Sata is the next gereration and are able to address alot more data per HDD and also transfer data at 150MB/300MB with 600MB comming in the future. The fastest a PATA drive can move data is UDMA-6 @ 133MB/Sec

Hope this helps.
Regards
Golith

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok

golith said:
Hi,

1. the Sli mode of the card is not that you need two minotrs but it will allow the 2nd GPU to pickup in times of Load. The board must support SLI for a number of reasons i.e pipe sizes but it must also auto load balance. It doesn't mean that 3d games become twice as quick but apps get a large percentage point increase in performance. The card required to go into this MOBO is the PCI-x range of cards but does not have to be SLI to run

2. Yes the EIDE will run and looks as though it supports two HDD on the IDE channel with one cable provided? i assume it is a double not a single slot ribbon.
Yes stay away if you aren't going to use the benifits of raid. It has never been a hinderence in the Corporate community but they have the money to spend on this type of technology. It can increase throughput by 50% and increases the Data integrity/redundancy ratio to standards expected by highend users. (could you imagine having to backup TB's of data 2-3 years ago? A nightmare and that is where raid comes to the for) So its not horrible but costly for home users (home users usually don't realise what raid is and offers but in the IT industry it is one of a gambit of tools to increase there globalistic/wholistic ideas about the managment and protection of Data)

3. SATA drives are Serial versions of the Parallel drives. (P)ATA drives are the IDE type essentially. Heres a link to read.
http://www/techexams.net/technotes/apluscore/ide.shtml
Sata is the next gereration and are able to address alot more data per HDD and also transfer data at 150MB/300MB with 600MB comming in the future. The fastest a PATA drive can move data is UDMA-6 @ 133MB/Sec

Hope this helps.
Regards
Golith

I thouht it said that the MOBO suported SLI?

BTW: the link you provided just takes me to Yahoo's Page.

SO: SATA and PATA are the same drives, is that what your saying?

ALot of people said that the RAID drives have a ahard time installing NEw OS's, so i assume that they are correct, i will be sure to stay away from them. Money is not an issue, but i dont want to Build a $5000 computer that does not fit my needs. with the Money that i make on ST, i really have no problem.

i am also thinking about going with the SLI- Deluxe from Asus.. just dont want to run into any problems, while gaming...thats really MY Need.

Randy

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi,

O.k from the top

1. yes the MOBO supports SLI mode. Integral to the use of SLI cards if they are to be used in conjunction. Although it is not imperitive that you use this technoligy. the standard PCI-X will do.

2. Ahhh, SATA and PATA are by definition the same except the intel group and a bunch of other companies designed a new standard that allows for effective throughput (no bottleneck), higher data bursts, and larger data blocks in MB/sec. The technology is the same at the platter level but from there they differ and the old IDE cable doesn't carry enough information therefore the new SATA standard has a differnt pinout and molex. there are also little differences but these are the main ones to distinguish them apart.

3. The raid drivers they refer to are not specificall y industry standard as the RAID card is the industry standard as infintily more powerful although they can now shoe horn this onto the MOBO and thats it, so the issue arises here. If they were serious about raid you would ditch your Raid enabled MOBO for another and plug in a high spec RAID card to do the job. You need not worry about raid for what you are doing, unless you want to increase your data throughput by about 50%. That said it is as you say dangerous if not able to understand Raid theory from 0 through to 5, stripped or parity, mirrored and so on.

4. The Sli-Deluxe looks to be able to suit your needs and allows for alot of upgradability. Yes for 3d gaming the extra expense of a new second SLI mode card is not warranted at this point but if you get the 6600GTOC or there latest card then this is going to be the best bang for your buck card at the moment.

I hope that clears it up for you
Regards
golith

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
golith said:
Hi,

O.k from the top

1. yes the MOBO supports SLI mode. Integral to the use of SLI cards if they are to be used in conjunction. Although it is not imperitive that you use this technoligy. the standard PCI-X will do.

2. Ahhh, SATA and PATA are by definition the same except the intel group and a bunch of other companies designed a new standard that allows for effective throughput (no bottleneck), higher data bursts, and larger data blocks in MB/sec. The technology is the same at the platter level but from there they differ and the old IDE cable doesn't carry enough information therefore the new SATA standard has a differnt pinout and molex. there are also little differences but these are the main ones to distinguish them apart.

3. The raid drivers they refer to are not specificall y industry standard as the RAID card is the industry standard as infintily more powerful although they can now shoe horn this onto the MOBO and thats it, so the issue arises here. If they were serious about raid you would ditch your Raid enabled MOBO for another and plug in a high spec RAID card to do the job. You need not worry about raid for what you are doing, unless you want to increase your data throughput by about 50%. That said it is as you say dangerous if not able to understand Raid theory from 0 through to 5, stripped or parity, mirrored and so on.

4. The Sli-Deluxe looks to be able to suit your needs and allows for alot of upgradability. Yes for 3d gaming the extra expense of a new second SLI mode card is not warranted at this point but if you get the 6600GTOC or there latest card then this is going to be the best bang for your buck card at the moment.

I hope that clears it up for you
Regards
golith

O well i guess after i have all this in my hands, i will get me a gig of ram, and a just wait a bit and upgrade later, Definatley thanks for your help :sayyes:

Randy

·
Registered
906 Posts
One very important factor that I need to mention is the Power supply (PSU). You said that you have already ordered the case. It looks like it comes with a PSU but I bet it is a generic model.

A gaming machine such as you describe needs a good PSU like Antec or Enermax in the 500 to 600 Watt range, the PSU is the heart of the system.

If money is not a big factor get 2 or 4 Gigs of matched dual channel extreme ram from Corsair, Mushkin etc. Don't go for the cheap stuff.

Get the best Video card you can afford or you will be buying a new card within 1 to 2 years as you watch your frame rates crawl. Games are getting ever more intensive and highly detailed and there seems to be no end.

This is my formula when building a gameing machine.

Feed it with a good Quality PSU.
Give it lots of space to work with, at least 1 gig of fast Ram. (I would go for more than 1 gig today)
Storage should be of good quality aswell, Seagate is a good choice.
Toss the stock heatsink and get a good Zalman or Thermalright XP-90.

Two 80mm fans blowing in at the front, one blowing in on the side by the Video card, one at the top blowing out and one in the back blowing out. The rest will be balanced by your PSU fan.

The 120mm fans are better and quieter but do not fit in some cases without cutting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.