Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im instlling ubuntu and its taking an extremely long time to partition is this normal?

EDIT. nvm it coudlnt create enough diskspace to install it. what should i do about this?

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
1. Get a new hard drive.
2. Are you dual booting? If so, do you have extra space on your Windows partition? If so, you can shrink it down a bit to make more free space for Linux.
3. Delete Windows and do a Linux-only installation.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
1. Get a new hard drive.
2. Are you dual booting? If so, do you have extra space on your Windows partition? If so, you can shrink it down a bit to make more free space for Linux.
3. Delete Windows and do a Linux-only installation.
Couldn't have said it better. You should have at least 2 GB just for installation, but you will want a lot more if you want to install more programs. I would make the partition at least 8 GB.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive got 60 gigs left over i set it to partition 10 gigs, but it coudlnt partition very well. something went wrong. any advice?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont know but i think windows has ALL my disk space so can ubuntu take over NTFS or do i have to seperate it?

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
You'll have too...like I said, shrink the Windows partition down, creating free space...then make a new partition out of that free space. You can use one of the free tools in my signature that include a partitioner.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just installed Ubuntu 606 Draper Drake yesterday.
I left it set on the top choice (of the installation options) and Ubuntu did everything by its self).

I did not have to do anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.