Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah I just installed this OS and I pretty much love it but I cant seem to get files(plug-ins/ games) to install. I open them I believe Im exracting them but i cant sem to get them to play or work , I guess Im too use to Microsot Windows. .......
Somebody please Help me out

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Games? Written for windows?

Sorry to be the one to tell you, but they just aren't going to work under any linux.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If they happen to be linux games you should try using apt to download and install them. If they don't exist on apt then you should look for a deb file. Failing that download and compile the source code

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How Do I

How? do I do what you've said? Do I Download to the archive manager then open it through the apt/deb file ? or Do I save to the disk and then open it through the apt/deb file... Im farely new at this so any info or directions will Help out a lot.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well you could use the gui version of apt which is called synaptic. I personally think this sucks and I just use the command line.

Seeing as how your a new user rather than shoot down the list of questions about how to do this or that I thought you might be more interested in this

http://ubuntuguide.org/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Now I seen this page before and I didnt really get hte jest of it. Is the agorithims written in the black area what I use to install Flashplayer

·
Registered
370 Posts
The stuff in the black is the commands you type into the terminal.

and for a shortcut the command to get flash player is
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install flashplayer-mozilla

"sudo" let's you run the command as the admin, just type in your password

"apt-get" is a package tool that let's you download, install and upgrade your system software very easily

"update" is the tag that tells "apt-get" to double check it's records to see if it has the newest versions of everything. It's very important to run "apt-get update" before using apt

"install" another apt tag, guess what this one does

"flashplayer-mozilla" This is what your trying to install, you can find more packages at http://packages.debian.org

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can use Cedega to run Windows games. However, it reqires a subscription and costs money. Some games will work with Wine, but Wine is more for Windows apps. If you don't give up, you'll get some success using either of these programs in Linux.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
837 Posts
Cedega Isn't free because of all the work and legal mumbo-jumbo... but it is free if you want to compiler it yourself, it';s not free if you just download the binaries... so download the source and settle down with a nice cup of joe for a peaceful night of compiling your heart away...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.