Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,
First off I'm a newbi to Linux, but done plenty of programming in Unix environments. I just installed Ubuntu and now am trying to get other things setup (like AIM) but all these dependencies are needed. For starters this gtk+ stuff. So I downloaded it and started the (./configure) command and it complained about no known compiler. I solved that one by running (sudo aptitude install build-essential). Now when I do the (./configure) I get the following message:

checking for BASE_DEPENDENCIES_CFLAGS...
checking for BASE_DEPENDENCIES_LIBS...
configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.7.1 atk >= 1.0.1 pango >= 1.9.0 cairo >= 0.9.2) were not met.
Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively you may set the BASE_DEPENDENCIES_CFLAGS and BASE_DEPENDENCIES_LIBS environment variables
to avoid the need to call pkg-config. See the pkg-config man page for
more details.
If anyone has any solution to this, I would be greatful. I know the most of my path variables are not setup, but because I'm not sure what to put in them, I'm hesitant to. If you have some examples of Path variables, that would be helpful!

This is frustrating, because I'm used to just having things setup.

Thanks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Btw

BTW I'm doing the ./configure command at the shell when I cd into the gtk folder.

ex:

command line:~/Desktop/gtk+-2.8.6$ ./configure

I couldn't figure out a way to login as Root from the login screen, so if I want to do anything I have to sudo as root.????

·
Registered
370 Posts
AIM for linux is a piece of crap
Use Gaim. It should have come with Ubuntu.

The same goes for GTK actually. And in the future use Apt whenever possible.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay,
i got AIM running and I agree not nice. how do I unistall the damn thing?

Also, what do you mean by Apt?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
837 Posts
Lol... APT (Advanced Package Tool. you should learn to use it, it makes package installation very easy. just type
apt-cache search <name> // Does A Search For Valid Packages

And

apt-get install <name> // installs and/or downloads those packages

this will get all of the dependancies, so to install Gaim, just type apt-get install gaim and the GTK lib is apt-get install libgtk*

·
Registered
370 Posts
Actually "apt-get update" searches for package names. The cache command only scans what you've already grabbed off the internet.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay,
So Ubuntu has a tool that will download and install packages... it's under one of the top menus (I'm not at the computer right now, at work so I'm fuzzy on what the specific name/path is).

So how do I know what I SHOULD download? I don't want to download everything do I?

Or is it one of those things that whenever I find out that I need a new package I go and install it?

Also, you guys didn't answer the question before... how do I uninstall AIM?
Is it just as simple as removing the folders that were created?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well I'm guessing they gave you a folder of binaries, delete it.

As for Gaim it should be on your computer now under Applications -> Internet -> Gaim

They might call it something else but the icon is usually a little yellow guy

As for apt first I would type
Code:
apt-get update
This retireves the newest info about what's out there. Then I'd type
Code:
apt-get upgrade
This upgrades every package on your system, it may take a while.

And on the extremely random and off chance that Gaim is not installed type
Code:
apt-get install gaim

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Aeuzent,
thanks, when you first posted about GAIM I did see it on there, I just didn't know what it was. I have been using that and you're right, much better. Gets getting used to as far as sounds go, but still better than the AIM thing!

As for the command line things, I'll try those when I go back home.

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I actually perfer gaim in Windows too. Not only does it let me log into all messengers at once but it is 100% spyware free. Can't say the same for AIM.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why don't you try synaptic?

just type:

sudo synaptic
(Might have to enter sudo user password here)

at the terminal.

It's a GUI based package handler.

To uninstall anything you have installed, just right click and select remove or something along those lines. To find it, there should be a find command. Fire this up and enter a string (substring) which represents what your looking for.

Also you can access synaptic from the Compute>System Information.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.