Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I installed Ubuntu Breezy Badger and I downloaded the Firefox Java plugin. So its sitting here on the desktop. How do I install it? One more thing, how do I set GRUB for Win2k as the default OS to load? I don't know if I'm making myself clear or not.
And I don't know anything about Linux, so take it easy please.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I have had my lessons on the java installations a couple of months ago when I got another computer. I did my install in Mozilla, but the process is the same. Only the directory name is different.

You said "Firefox Java Plug-in". I expect it's the same Java file you would get from this link. http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

The file name should be jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.bin

If this agrees with your desktop file then proceed.

If anything other than the numbers are different, I suggest going to the link I posted, and download the "Linux self-extracting file".
You will also see a link to use to verify your Java installation. You will find this to be a source of frustration if the install isn't correct, but it's a great and necessary tool.
Bookmark the page to keep the Java site handy.
Once you have the necessary file, you're ready to get started. There is instructions on the Java page, though I find them to be slightly flawed. If you saved the file to the desktop, then right click the file, and click "extract here". This basically unzips the file, and puts the unzipped copy on the desktop as well. With that done, you're ready to open a Command Line Interface. (CLI) I don't know which is available as default in Ubuntu, but there should be a button for it on the "panel". With the CLI open, the first thing you will need with which to proceed, is root privlages. Do this by typing at the prompt SU and <enter>. The next prompt will be for the root password. You did note the root password you entered in the installation process, right? This is what is needed.
Now that you have the root prompt, navigate to the Desktop directory. Typically cd ./home/<the name of your home directory>/Desktop <enter>
You should be at [email protected]<your name again...>/Desktop note this is case sensitive.
Down to business, make the file manageable, chmod a+x jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.bin <enter>
cd ./jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.bin <enter>
./jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.bin now things get easier. you will see many "press enter to continue" 's. it runs out about section 13. Press "y" to accept the license terms.
Next you will need to create a symbolic link to the Java application, from within the Firefox browser files. Navigate to the firefox directory, typically, /usr/lib/Firefox. but may be /usr/local/Firefox. You will need to navigate from highet in the directory tree, using the c ../ That takes you up through the directories.
A quick note about navigating: the ARROWS up down left and right, are your closest friends. You should learn this very quickly. They make navigating simple.
Oh yes, that important "symbolic link". Works sort of like a .dll does in that other system, only you make it yourself.
In the Firefox directory, cd ./firefox/plugins at that type, verbatim, no errors.... here it is.... ln -s/usr/java/jre1.5.0-05/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
Make sure that you put a space for the third character, just as I have it right there.
If you are successful, the result will be green colored .so file. If there is a problem, it will flash on and off in red letters. If so that link should be removed. And we'll need to find out what the error is, and make a correct link.
You won't pass the Java test on the Java page if this link isn't good.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Batty,
I wans't asked for a root password during installation. It just asked me to set up an account so that I don't log in to root everytime. Now I can't figure out how to log into "root".
thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
You shouldn't have to get that far. Just follow the instructions from Java.com. It'll work.

Or you can take the cheap way out and install this old version of the plugin in a deb package format
http://www.opensourcemirrors.org/ub...illa/j2re1.4-mozilla-plugin_0ubuntu5_i386.deb

After you download it run (as root) this command
Code:
dpkg -i j2re1.4-mozilla-plugin_0ubuntu5_i386.deb
But like I said this plugin is old and kinda sucks. However it works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
kbalona said:
Hi Batty,
I wans't asked for a root password during installation. It just asked me to set up an account so that I don't log in to root everytime. Now I can't figure out how to log into "root".
thanks
Ubuntu uses sudo command to allow a normal user administrative privileges. Thus the traditional UNIX root account is disabled (i.e. it is not possible to log in as root). Continued at: https://wiki.ubuntu.com//RootSudo

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Hi Ray2047, welcome to TSF, and thanks for the input. :grin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
batty_professor said:
Hi Ray2047, welcome to TSF, and thanks for the input. :grin:
Was a little hesitant to answer a post not addressed to me. I'm glad you didn't mind. I'm a newbie to Ubuntu myself so thought I'd pass on about the only thing I've learned so far. <G>

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, so when I type in MY password then it acts like i'm not typing anything than says something "invalid password" :confused:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Given what Ray2047 has shared, try installing with just your own user privlages. Otherwise if you "SU" try not making a password entry, just press <enter>. You may be stuck just doing this as a regular user.
edit: I found this, it addresses many questions about passwords and the management/changing/securing passwords.
http://linux.about.com/od/linux101/l/blnewbie3_2_3.htm

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok thanx
I had to remove ubuntu cuz I ran out of space :upset: It'll have to wait til I get my new HD.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.