Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I attempt to post the details of my computer's problem, I need to know if there is a proper name for a certain "type" of icon. All of the icons that we all know and love, are graphically detailed. One familiar example is Internet Explorer's highly stylized blue "E" accented with a yellow arch.
There is another type of icon, which I sometimes call "generic", or "DOS mode" for lack of the proper terminology. They are normally used to represent files with "exe" extensions. They look like 2 dimensional representations of old fashioned CRT TV sets with a white screen and a blue upper panel with three grey knobs in the upper right.
Is there a proper name for these icons. The correct terminology will make it possible to properly communicate my computer's problem to you-all.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Banned
308 Posts
hey,

To my knowledge there is no proper name for these graphically different icons. The only difference i think is probably age and advancements made in graphic design. Post your problem and we'll see what we can do.

Regards,

Brandon

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Brandon,

In short, most of my desktop icons blink (disappear for about 2 seconds) toward the end of a boot. They then reappear, but as "old TV sets/generic/DOS type" icons for about 3 seconds. They finally change to their correct form a few seconds later. THIS HAPPENS EVERY TIME I BOOT THE COMPUTER. Same thing happens to the icons on my "D" drive. This is where I store all of my downloaded installation files, most of which are .exe files, with complex icons like those on the desktop. THIS ONLY HAPPENS THE FIRST TIME that I open "D" drive after a boot. Any time I reopen D drive after that, the icons appear correctly.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Hey,

Just a question, do you have your Windows XP disc handy? What I want you to do is delete your ShellIconCache file. It should be in C:/Windows/ShellIconCache. Windows should recreate after a reboot. If it does not, use your XP disc to replace it with a perfectly ok version. Actually, try renaming the file first and then reboot. If it doesn't work, then delete and reboot. If it isn't there anymore after deleting it, then you will need to replace it from the XP disc.

Regards,

Brandon

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Did a search. There is no shell icon cache file. There is no shell icon cache folder anywhere, either. Is it a file or a folder? If it's a file, what's the extension?
Yes, I have the disk.
Thanks,
joe

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Found The Correct File!!

I think that you might have put me onto something!
In XP, the file is called IconCache.db.

In my case, since I am the sole user, and administrator of my computer, the path is:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\iconcache.db

I deleted the file and rebooted. The computer acted the same as always. And, after the reboot, IT DID NOT RECREATE THE DELETED FILE!!! So, I restored it from the recycle bin.
Here's the strange thing:the file has NOT been modified since 8/05, which is probably when the computer started acting funky. Apparently, the file is not being accessed/used to help Explorer find the needed icons. THIS IS SLOWING THINGS DOWN CONSIDERABLY.
Now, I need to figure out how to make the computer (Explorer) access and use the file.
I'm going into the registry to see where it appears there.

Joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I was wondering if you were ever able to solve your problem? I have a similar problem, only in my case, no icons ever show up at all (the text descriptions of the icons are still there, though) and my start menu is black, except for the "all programs" thing which works, but also shows no icons, only text. Same thing in windows explorer - no icons, only text.

There is no iconcache.db file where it should be. I created a new user to test. This new user has the iconcache.db file and it works fine. I tried to copy this file to where mine should be, but it disappears. And when I reboot, it does not create again.

Help?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.