Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been overdue for a reformat. At this point in time I run windows off a 80GB Maxtor IDE ATA (Drive C). I also have two 300 GB Maxtor SATA HDD (Drive G and Drive H) that are full of data I'd like to have.

Today I formatted Drive C and reinstalled Windows XP Pro with SP2. Finding/installing drivers (for mobo) was a little hairy for some reason. Don't know why. Been so long I guess. Don't think this contributed to any HDD issues though.

Anyway, I could've sworn I'd done this before and was able to browse through my SATA drives as soon as windows started. This is not the case as I see now.

Both SATA HDD are recognized in:
-Boot up screens/BIOS
-MaxBlast5 bootable version

BUT, Neither of the drives are recognized in:
-Windows
-MaxBlast5 (within windows)
-"Administrative Tools" >> "Computer Management"

Since I can see them in MaxBlast5 boot version, I can add them BUT BUT BUT it requires deleting the partitions/erasing the data. I fully intended to keep all the data. I didn't think this would be a problem at all and frankly I'm gettin a little worried. What can I try?? I am a proficient user, so no need to be too descriptive. Thanks for the help!
GW

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Athlon XP 2700+
2x500MB Corsair XMS

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Might need sata drivers. Ive only assembled a handful of systems
using sata drives "non raid" and never had to install sata drivers.
But reading in this forum from time to time with some boards people
have to install them. You may have wiped the drives anyway. I
would have unplugged the drives prior to format. I learned that lesson
the hard way. Beings how they are sata drives you may have dodged
that bullet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[SOLVED] Two SATA HDD w/ data are no longer seen (in XP) after reformat of a third

Just thought I'd let everyone know that my solution to this horrid problem was fairly simple and I'm not sure why I didn't try it sooner:

In Device Manager, under Other Devices, there was "RAID Controller" with a yellow question mark. I right-clicked and "Update Driver" and directed it to the folder of IDE SATA drivers I downloaded from Asus support site. Now I can see the SATA drives no problem. I didn't think this step was necessary but.. there ya go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.