Tech Support banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks for any help,
I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop with a 1 TB Hybrid Hard drive (HDD) that is really slow. I bought a new Samsung EVO 870 SSD, and got all the downloads to clone my old drive. Problem: I've spent so many hours trying to get my computer to even see these drives, (THIS PC, DEVICE MANAGER, Samsung Migration software).

DISK Manager does show a virtual drive, as did other software, but when I go in to initialize it, I get a pop up box saying the device is not ready. Again, nothing in THIS PC (Windows 10). PROPERTIES always shows the device is working properly, and the driver is up to date.

I took the first drive back as I was told it was defective, but question how a second one could also be defective so am reaching out to you.

I have uninstalled drive and searched for new hardware, rebooted etc, but no luch. I did buy a SATA/USB 3.0 cable that shows power and access lights on.
The Samsung data migration software shows a virtual drive, but it can not be accessed or cloned. Any ideas on this? Thanks, Ed

·
Premium Member
41,748 Posts
The drive has to be recognized in the Bios and Disk Management. It will not be recognized as a Virtual Drive. With the new drive attached, boot into Setup (Bios) go to System Information. This will list all of the drives on the computer. If the new SSD is not listed, then the USB Adapter/Cable is not getting enough power to the drive via USB. You should get a USB Adapter , Dock or Enclosure with it's own power adapter. If the drive is not listed in the Bios, it won't be recognized in Windows or the Data Migration software.
If it is seen in the Bios, boot into Windows. Press the Windows key+X and choose Disk Management, if it is a brand new drive, then the New Disk Wizard will automatically start and ask to Initialize it. If not, if it is listed in the lower pane on the Disk # as Not Initialized, then Right click that and Initialize it GPT. You can then Right click the Unallocated Space and choose to make a new Simple Volume, Partition it and Format it NTFS.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for all the info. It turned out that I bought a cheap cable (usb to SATA) which didn't work. I asked someone else, and they connected it to a mainframe with their cable, and it worked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts