Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've been dealing with two separate problem regarding Windows XP and Internet Explorer for quite a while, and was unable to find any solution to any of them. First of all, I should mention I'm working on a PC running Windows XP + Service Pack 1. The installation of Windows XP is pretty new, since I formatted my drive a few weeks ago.

Problem #1:
I used to have a shortcut to the internet connection (through my ISP) in the Start>Programs>Startup. That way, every time I started my computer, the connection would dial and connect. It was very comfortable. However, after I installed Windows XP this last time, and did the exactly same thing (copied a shortcut to the dialer to the startup folder) - it won't work. I start the computer and the connection won't dial. As a matter of fact - it seem like it's not there - nothing happens.
A few comments:
1. When I go to Start>Programs>Startup and ("manually") click the file - it works (the connection dials).
2. I added a shortcut to a .txt file in the same Startup folder, and the TXT file opens every time I start my computer.

Problem #2:
As I mentioned, I'm using Internet Explorer 6. The problem is that very often some of the images\graphics\bullets in web pages wouldn't be displayed. Instead a white box/box with red X will show. The problem has nothing to do with Security\Privacy settings - their both set to their default ("Medium"). Please note that the problem isn't consistent -the same page won't display images X & Y at one time, will display properly at a second time, and won't display image Z at a third time. The page might be displayed properly after hitting the Refresh button. Note that: 1. I cleaned all the History and Temporary internet files. 2. I never experienced this problem in the past (before formatting and re-installing Windows XP).

I'll be thankful for any suggestion, comment, idea etc.. since I've been loaoking for a solution for quite many days now.

Thank you,
David B.
[email protected]

S

·
0 Posts
Hello davidb151 and welcome to the forums.

For problem numer 2 go here and download Java VM for windows this may be the problem.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi davidb151,

Welcome to the forums :D

Ok, first try to download Java VM as Speedo Told you.......

We'll try to go step by step with you to help you solve the problem! :)

Just one quick thing that you can do right now, to get rid of theo Tex file that opens up everytime you open Windows, Do the following:

Go To : Start > Run
Type in: msconfig
When the window opens, go to the "Start Up" Tab from the top
You will then see a big list of files, this list consists of all the porograms/files that run when you startup your system (the System Tray)....... Look for the text file that opens up....... and Uncheck it..........

Ok, apply, close, restart Windows, and the text file should stop opening up!

So download the file Speedo Told you first, and we'll go from there :D

Let us know how it goes.

Best Regards

DaTruMasta

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Hello and thank you two for your prompt replies.
I should have mentioned that the first thing I did after installing Windows XP was to download and install SP-1, so I guess I don't need to download VM, do I?
Secondly, I actually made a shortcut to the TXT file on purpose (to see if it works, and to understand whether the problem applies specifically to the dial-up shortcut or to any file). Since then I already deleted that shortcut and the TXT file doesn't startup of course (-: .

I'll be happy to get more suggestions.

Regards,
David.

S

·
0 Posts
Does java come with SP1.................:confused:

Now I gotta check that out....................:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.