Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my problem.
I just got a glass fibber connection to the Internet. The installation guy came to our house and set a router, connected to one of our computer.
My old router (Lynksys) does not want to work with that Internet connection.
I want to still use my old router, as I use it for wireless printing with several other computers.
So I bought a second LAN card, and set it in my computer.

An ipconfig /all test gives me this:
Code:
Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name.....................: mycomputername
Primary DNS Suffix...........:
Node Type.....................: Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled...........: No
WINS Proxy Enabled.........: No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description..............................: NETGEAR FA310TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (NGRPCI)
Physical Address.......................: 00-A0- .....
DHCP Enabled...........................: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled..........: Yes
IP Address...............................: 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask............................: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway.......................: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server............................: 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers............................: 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained........................: 10/4/2005
Lease Expired..........................: 10/5/2005

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description..............................: I-O DATA ETG2-PCI Giga bit Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address.......................: 00-A0- .....
DHCP Enabled...........................: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled..........: Yes
IP Address...............................: 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask............................: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway.......................: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server............................: 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers............................: 
Lease Obtained........................: 10/4/2005
Lease Expired..........................: 10/5/2005
The ETG2-PCI Giga bit card is refusing to work.
It looks like it does not have a DNS Server address.
Is that the problem? How can I solve that?
Thank you for any help. I am not too good at computer. I have done some search with "two lan cards" on Google, but have not found much help. :sayno:
Haru.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
First, lets skip the 2 LAN cards and get back to basics here.

I assume you have Verizon FIOS? If not, who is providing your Internet connection?
What is the make and model of the router supplied by the Internet provider (D-Link DI-604 by any chance?)?

Your old router should work with fiber connection. You probably need to reconfigure for PPPoE with a user name and password to get your old router working.

That being said, you can also cascade your old router onto the router provided by the Internet provider. Take your old router and configure the static web interface address to 192.168.1.250, turn off DHCP and connect the old router up using a LAN connection, not the WAN connection, to a LAN connection on your new router. You should be up and running with your wireless just as before.

This allows you to continue using the new router provided by the Internet provider so they will troubleshoot problems to the first router without question.

JamesO

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not Verizon, I am in Japan, it's NTT.

I cannot access the company modem, it's in Japanese, I have tried the entire menu but did not get anything readable. It’s a Japanese modem made for NTT, the real brand is not appearing. But that one is working, let’s try to make my Linksys to work.

I have another problem: the new fibber connection is on the first floor, I have my office on the second floor, and the printer too. I cannot just bring the old rooter downstairs, because I would also have to wire the printer too it. It’s enough to have an Ethernet cable to wire from downstairs to my office!

How can I access my old router? I used to be able to change the setting by opening a web page and typing the address 192.168.1.1 but now it does not work.
Can I do it in Dos windows, like IPCONFIG?

Thanx for your help!
Haru.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
You need to find out how your WAN connection needs to be configured. Here in the states, Verizon FIOS fiber service requires the router to be configured PPPoE on the WAN interface, any user name and password with work. You may need to use a user name and password provided to you by NTT? It is also possible NTT is tied to a specific MAC address, so you might need to clone a MAC address into the router?

I assume we can rule out that the WAN side is DHCP from NTT, as this is probably your router default, if not start with DHCP and see if this works. What type of Internet connection did you have before the fiber connection? DSL?

Describe your network configuration in more detail.

ipconfig /all will give you your IP address on your PC, if you were plugged into the new fiber interface, you may need to reboot your computer to obtain a correct IP address to communicate with the Linksys router.

You can also cascade your old router onto the router provided by the Internet provider. Take your old router and configure the static web interface address to 192.168.1.250, turn off DHCP and connect the old router up using a LAN connection, not the WAN connection, to a LAN connection on your new router. You should be up and running with your wireless just as before.

JamesO

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I managed to be able to use both my LAN cards.

One Lan card has a direct ethernet cable to the new fibber router.

The other card has an ethernet cable going to a LAN connection of the Linksys router.

If I plug both Lan cards, right now, I get only the Internet connection working.
If I unplug the Internet ethernet cable, then the printer is working.

There seem to be a conflict between my 2 routers.

The fibber router configuration is as such (I finaly found the right menu):

LAN IP address: 192.168.1.1 /24
DHCP Server
….IP Adress: 192.168.1.2
…. IP Address: 192.168.1.11
DNS Server address: 192.168.1.1

The Linksys router configuration is as such :

LAN IP Address: 192.168.1.250 (I made it 250, as you recommended)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

I disabled the DHCP Server.

And my TCP/IP printer address is 192.168.1.3

(I also tried to pug the Fibber ethernet cable to a LAN connection of the old Linksys router: same result)

Thank you for your help James.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
It is possible you need a Ethernet cross over cable between the 2 router LAN ports if you are unable to get comms. Some router automatically flip if needed, some do not.

JamesO

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The router being in different room, a cable betwen them is not a very good option...

The configuration, IP address and such look good ?

Haru.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I guess I just do not understand what you are trying to do.

Connect the old router to the new router as I stated and everything will work. Have you powered down all equipment when reconfiguring the network? This is necessary to clear the MAC address from the network devices.

LAN to LAN, you may need an Ethernet cross over cable???, disable DHCP on the old router. If a Ethernet cross over cable is required, you can always purchase a CAT-5 Ethernet Female-Female junction and then plug a short cross over cable into the current cabling you have in place.

Now if your problem is the new router is different location than the old ISP connection and you do not have enough ports to plug things into, then you may need add a Ethernet switch in your network.

Going the route of 2 NIC cards may work, but involves a lot more issues.

Maybe a diagram of your physical/network layout would be helpful?

JamesO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.