Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had a number of crashes and loss of data I'm now trying to backup regularly.

I have two ATA HDs (120Gb and 80Gb) both on the same physical bus, IDE0. First question, would these run better if on seperate buses, IDE0 and IDE1?

Now for backing up - I started backing up using the Windows backup function, then crashed and had to restore. This restored all the folder structures, but some of the files in these were missing?

Luckily I had also copied and pasted full folders accross from drive to drive so didn't lose anything. It then seemed to me to be a safer and quicker solution to have a full operating system installed on both drives, and just regularly copy the Documents and Settings folder from the master to the slave. After any failure I can just swap out the master HD jumper and carry on.

Does this seem a sensible solution? Am I doing something stupid here?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Actually it's an excellent idea. The only drawback is that any program installs, updates, etc. aren't transferred to the new drive, so if the original drive goes down, you don't lose any data, but you don't have an exact working copy and doing all the installs/ updates could be a pain. That's the beauty of a cloned drive. I used to xcopy one drive to another every week as a backup. Worked great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How to make a bootable clone

OK sounds good.
So exactly how do I make my slave HD a bootable clone?
Thanks

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

You might want to look at picking up a used copy of Norton Ghost on Ebay. The older copies are probably better than the new ones and much cheaper. That way, you can make an exact clone that is bootable. That is what I have doing for years and it works like a charm. My reason for doing that is that I like to experiment with new programs and if something does not fit, then simply clone back what you put on the slave disk.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
xcopy s: d: /s /e /h /r /k /y /v /q /i /m /x from command prompt

where s: is your source drive (master) and d: is your destination drive (cloned)

Ghost is a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Some of Hard drive manufactures have Software for installing new drives and migrateing to a new drive which work well for this. I use seagate diskwizard for windows it runs in windows. maxtor has Maxblast :sayyes: (maxblast only works with maxtors)
The advantage of using these they also have diagnostic tool included.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

While I have used the Maxtor utility that has that feature, I have found that this utility (like other drive manufacturer's utilities) at times leave fragments that it does not copy. Therefore, my reason for using Norton Ghost as the first line of defense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.