Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just looking thru system device Manager and i see i scroll down to the section that says

[-]--processors
!
!---Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHZ
!---Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHZ​
Dose this mean that my system thinks it has 2 cpus? ..(It hasn't)

Thanks Anthony

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've got that too, the only thing i can think of is it's seeing each thread of the hyperthreading technology (basically a simulated dual core) as a seperate processor?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Dual-core processor...it appears to be two physically separate processors, although in fact they are contained within a single package.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
not dual core cpu

also in dev manager it states that my computer is "acpi multiprocessor pc"shouldnt this be standard pc???

still have only 1 cpu??
should i install drivers for standard pc ?

my cpu is a 3.00e ghz prescot pent 4 ?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
When installing WinXP you have the option(using the F5 key) to choose a system type. To enable hyperthreading, you must choose one of the 'multi-processor' systems available.... "acpi multiprocessor pc" being one of the options. Many mobos also need to have hyperhtreading enabled in BIOS.

You can also check in 'task manager>performance' there are two cpu graphs under the 'CPU usage history' title...one for each virtual core. Both virtual cores also show up in programs like motherboard monitor and I can check in realtime the cpu usage...pretty cool when you use something like CPU burn or run PCmark04 to see both graphs at 100% usage :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.