Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sound card only has one spot to plug in the audio from the CD. Is there a way to plug both in?

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I think Nick's talking about the 4-pin MPC-3 connector coming off the back of the CD-ROM drive. This carries an analog stereo signal, and cables over to a matching 4-pin header on a soundcard in his system. He's saying he has 2 of these CDROM drives in his system.

I think the answer to your question, "two CD-ROM's 1 Sound Card" is no, you cannot easily do this with only one soundcard. Since both CDROM connectors are outputs, the only decent way to tie 2 analog outputs together is via a mixer. So you would need to have a little mixer inside your PC, cannibalize some cables, and do your own wiring.

It might be a whole lot easier to install a second soundcard. Or find a soundcard having multiples of these inputs... like maybe use the Line-In or Aux-In for one drive and the CD input for the other. If you do this, watch out because some systems don't like multiple soundcards, while others do. And pay attention to IRQ choices.

If one CD-ROM happens to have a digital output, and your soundcard happens to have both digital and analog inputs, perhaps you could go digital for one drive, analog for the other.

Either that or only play music CD's on one of your CD-ROM drives.
Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for explaining my problem better than I did. The connection I'm using now is a flat four pin conector. On my sound card right next to the four pin plug I am now ising is a white, four pin but larger than the one I am using now. Would this be the digital plug?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
well, i found a way around it, but it is going to sound all kinds of retarded.

take a cd rom audio cable, and whack the souncard end off of it, and solder on a stereo 1/8 connector.

plug this into your second cd rom, and then hang the end out of your case.

you may have to make a neat little hole for it.

then, plug this cable into your "line in" on your soundcard.

then the "line in" slider on your sound panel will adjust the volume for this drive.

if you do this, there will be no conflict with the two, and they will both be able to play using winamp, or other players.

~BoB~

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
On my sound card right next to the four pin plug I am now ising is a white, four pin but larger than the one I am using now. Would this be the digital plug?
I have no idea, but probably not: digital requires only 2 lines. The white header you describe could be meant for hooking up a special, card-specific extender panel. Please tell us what model your soundcard is, we are flying a little blind here.

take a cd rom audio cable, and whack the soundcard end off of it, and solder on a stereo 1/8 connector. plug this into your second cd rom, and then hang the end out of your case.
Like I said, doing your own wiring. :| But your idea is something I hadn't thought of. For that matter, Nick could run 1/8 stereo patch cords externally from each CDROM front panel, into an external mixer, then back into the Line-in jack, as you described; all external to the box. With this scheme he could have, what... 3, 4, 5 CD-ROM's, whatever the tower will allow!

-clintfan

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
this idea came to me in a dream....

and im not joking.

i had added a burner to my machine, and was furious that i couldnt play from both drives.

the next morning when i woke up, i was excited about something but couldnt remember why...

then it hit me, so i did it, i took the cd rom cable and modified it, and then plugged it in...

the thing is, it is internal, except in the back of the machine.

and i dont care if the back of my machine has an audio cable hanging out of it.

on top of this, i didnt mention earlier, but alot of times i unplug that devil and plug something else in instead.

having the 1/8 plug makes it possible.

it is actually unplugged most of the time, but sometimes i plug it in, if i am going to be making alot of audio cd's. (that way i can burn and test without changing which drive the disk is in)

alot of wierd ideas hit me, and it makes me feel funny.

the main reason this idea works so smoothly, is that the cd audio out, the analog one, is of course analog.
the line in on the sound card is also analog.

analog devices are almost totally generic...

although, sometimes i do odd things, and i use the headphone plug in the front of the drive to connect it to my sampling machine.
sometimes i even run the one from the headphones into an echo unit, and then right into the line in plug, and adding in some weird sounds by having the echo box and the original sound coming in together.

but back to the point, the other connector that is being asked about could be the modem sound in.

~BoB~

·
Registered
376 Posts
You're right - I bet that other socket is the modem-in.

Does this soundcard also have an auxiliary-in socket? The integrated sound on my motherboard has only one CD-ROM-in socket, but I plugged my second drive into the auxiliary-in socket to play CD's in both. I actually only play CD's in one drive, though, anyway.

If your soundcard has only one socket for a CD-ROM, I think it's old enough to consider grabbing a new card. A Philips Acoustic Edge is slightly better than a Creative Audigy, only the Philips will run you half as much if you catch the right sale. This particular card also has the CD-ROM digital-in socket.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Since Nick is using WinXP can't he just go into Device Manager then expand the DVD/CD devices to see both CD drives. Then right-click each CD device and click properties. From the Properties dialog box, check mark the "Digital CD Playback" option. This should allow Nick to play music on any CD drive he wants to use. BTW this works for Win2000 as well. Hope this helps.

Edit: I have seen a splitter cable like for these devices before but I can't for the life of me remember where on the web I saw it. You might try http://www.quietpcusa.com/ I seem to remember that they carry adapter cables. That is if you really need this type of cable. Again hope this helps.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
heh, i had one of those cables...

it made a whining noise anytime i played music, something about running two outs together....

a cable like this isnt as simple as it sounds.

back in school, we learned that to connect two out to a common input, we had to use diodes to isolate the signals to one direction...

this would mean 4 diodes, on for each signal on each output.

i am not sure how much sense this is going to make to all of you, but it is the way we did it to run two things into one thing.

NOTE: when both are running, it will still have issues..

~BoB~

·
Registered
207 Posts
bob vila said:
heh, i had one of those cables...

NOTE: when both are running, it will still have issues..

~BoB~
Thanks for the information, I'll keep that in mind. I have never used one of those cables myself so but it sounded like what Nick was looking for. But since the option in Device Manager will work, that cable is not an issue anyway.

Nick: I connected a second DVD player to my system just to be sure and had no problem playing CD's with either drive. As I stated before this works with both Win2000 and WinXP, but not Win95/98. Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.