Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just bought an Athlon 2100 and... it doesnt fit into the socket because one of the pins is slightly tweaked on the bottom. What should I do? Try to push it back?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Depends on if you can get your money back on it or not, allot of CPU's come with that "once its out of the package theres no way we are taking it back no matter what" notices...

How bad is the thing bent? If you don't see a no refund after opening clause I would get a new one if you do, then bending it back is your only choice..

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use a 3 bend rule with pins..

1. Bent pin

2. Try to bend pin back

3. Pin breaks

If you can...send/take it back and get a new one. If not.... you could try it... but you'll probably break it!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I bent the pin back into place and the chip seems to work. WinXP runs fine and everything. Should I still send it back, or... How do I know it is working properly? :confused:

S

·
0 Posts
If it's working leave it alone.

Besides if you send it back what reason are you going to give now that it's fixed...........:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sweet... Athlon 2100, A7V333, 768 MB pc2700 cas2.5 mem, 40 gig ATA 133 HD, 36x CDRW, 21" .22 DPI Nokia monitor, MSI geforce 4 4600, optical mouse, natural keyboard... Not a bad gaming rig, huh guys?>:smooch:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Okay... what are you running for a game pad and joystick?
What kind of Internet connection do you have?
Have you optimized your MS setting for what type of connection you have?
If you do FPS games do you have a GOOD mic? Such as the ones that come with the MS game voice, or even one of those array Mics?
What do you have in the way of a sound card and speakers?
What type of gamer are you and what games do you have?
Do you have any of the mods available for the games you own?
What kind of cabling are you using (round or ribbon.... are you sure that it supports 133)
Did you set up the motherboard to run the best settings your Hardware can handle?
Did you defrag your harddrive recently (after you installed the games)
Do you own a gaming mouse pad designed for optical?
Have you tweaked your video card?
What is the standard operating temp of your computer?
How many fans does the case have?
Do the fans have adjustable RPM or is it standard?

It's a pretty sweet rig, but if you haven't look into the above questions and get them taken care of and you have an incredible sweet gaming rig....BTW the optical gaming mousepad doesn't do that much, and it hurts your wrist on the edge since it's so hard.

Congrats though...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Valiant2003 said:
Okay... what are you running for a game pad and joystick?
What kind of Internet connection do you have?
Have you optimized your MS setting for what type of connection you have?
If you do FPS games do you have a GOOD mic? Such as the ones that come with the MS game voice, or even one of those array Mics?
What do you have in the way of a sound card and speakers?
What type of gamer are you and what games do you have?
Do you have any of the mods available for the games you own?
What kind of cabling are you using (round or ribbon.... are you sure that it supports 133)
Did you set up the motherboard to run the best settings your Hardware can handle?
Did you defrag your harddrive recently (after you installed the games)
Do you own a gaming mouse pad designed for optical?
Have you tweaked your video card?
What is the standard operating temp of your computer?
How many fans does the case have?
Do the fans have adjustable RPM or is it standard?

It's a pretty sweet rig, but if you haven't look into the above questions and get them taken care of and you have an incredible sweet gaming rig....BTW the optical gaming mousepad doesn't do that much, and it hurts your wrist on the edge since it's so hard.

Congrats though...
HEH... glad you posted that!! I was gonna... but was tired and couldn't be bothered to type it

:sleep:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In answer to your question:
I prefer the keyboard/ mouse combo
Yes, I am on cable
No, I do not use voice com mics
I am using the built in sound that came w/ A7V333
For speakers I ran a cable I bought at radioshack from my computer to my home amplifier so I run my sound through my kenwood floor speakers.
I enjoy FPS games- I have quake 3, SOF2, GTA3, MOHAA, Max Payne, Quake 3, Half Life, etc.
Ya, I play COunterstrike... but not as much anymore
Yup, its an ATA133 ribbon that came with the MOBO
Yes, my BIOS is set optimally
I will defrag my HD... Its only been a week since the comp was running
Nope, no gaming mousepad... just a generic
I did not tweak my vid card because I find it does not bring much greater results. *Any reccomended tweaking programs*?
My CPU runs at 70 degrees Celcius or roughly 150 F.
I have 7 fans in the system:
1. Small intake
2. Vid card fan
3. Big case fan
4. Processor out-take fan
5. Power supply fan
6. Air circulating fan at base of case
7. CPU heatsink (Volcano 6CU)
The Volcano is a standard RPM (5000)

So wad'ya think? Is that CPU temp a little high? Will it be OK?

S

·
0 Posts
I would say it's a little on the high side!

I like to see it at about 40c to 50c at idle.

Your not using the pad that came with your heatsink are you?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It sounds a little high to me, but it should be fine, I'm not sure what you mean by circulating fan at the center of the case... unless it's mounted on top I don't think you really want to be blowing a lot of hot air around inside your case, but it should be fine AMD is known to run hotter but still run fine. you and I are alot alike....LOL I stick with kb/mouse I'm running my sound through my 400W Aiwa shelf system. I haven't tweaked this vid, and the one I used for my Voodoo 3 is no longer in existance... I can't remember the name right now though. If you play online, especially games like UT the voice recog is a life saver... Cudos on the excellent machine! Its nice to know with all the Hewlett Packard, compaq, ect. people in the world there are still some people with taste.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.