Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys, what would playin around with the "internal frequency multiplier for your cpu" in the setup do....any advantages or disadvantages?

it has to do with speed if im correct?!

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
I think you can only change it to a slower speed.
And its only 33mhz more you realy won't tell the differents...

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
yes, you're correct RZA....
here is a simple explanation from iwill :

Understanding External/Internal Frequency, Multiplier: What does all of this mean???

In the past, the motherboard bus speed had to match the speed of the CPU. As technology improved, CPU manufacturers kept making faster and faster CPU's. Motherboard manufacturers, such as Iwill, tried to keep up as best as they could by making a motherboard with a faster bus speed. However, when designing a new motherboard, motherboard manufacturers had to consider not only CPU frequency, but the chipset, memory, BIOS, etc. The reality was: No matter how hard they tried, motherboard manufacturers were always one step behind CPU manufacturers in designing bus speeds equal to CPU speeds.

The solution was to design a motherboard with a bus speed that can accommodate a faster CPU. To do this, the motherboard had to maximize the bus speed. For example, the current standard for motherboard speed is 100 Mhz. The CPU must match this same 100Mhz speed when loading data from memory, storing data to memory, and generally communicating with the motherboard. This is the CPU's "system bus frequency" or external frequency.

However, the CPU could still continue to work inside, i.e. process numbers/ equations internally, and do this during the same time it sends data out externally. This internal action in the CPU can be twice, three, four, or up to eight times the speed of the motherboard bus. This is the CPU's internal frequency. Think of your CPU this way: a 200 Mhz CPU actually means the internal frequency runs at 200 Mhz. As of now, no motherboard manufacturer makes a motherboard that has an external frequency that runs at 200 Mhz (but keep an eye out for Iwill!).

To understand the term multiplier, a 200 Mhz CPU can be set at 100 Mhz CPU (system bus frequency) x 2 (multiplier) if your motherboard runs at 100 Mhz system bus speed. Or, it may be set at 66 Mhz CPU x 3, if your motherboard runs at 66 Mhz system bus speed.

Before you adjust the CPU frequency or "overclock," you must first know your motherboard's bus speed. Iwill has several motherboards designed with both 66 Mhz and 100 Mhz frequencies. When adjusting frequency, select the frequency that matches your motherboard's bus speed in order to maximize your motherboard's performance.
hopefully this makes sense...

later

·
STILL Stuck in a treestand....
929 Posts
BEWARNED; if you overclock your CPU and don't keep it cooler than it already is you can toast it! They run hotter when their overclocked.

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
if you overclock your CPU and don't keep it cooler than it already is you can toast it! They run hotter when their overclocked.
I told him that, you have to do it just right. Its not worth it.
But just in-case he doesn't listen to us. Get a bigger heatsink
and a faster processor fan to keep it cool...........

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no no, I listened, umm I was just cuorios thats all

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
save some money and get a processor & motherboard combo....

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you know, what, Im gona check out that alienware website

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so im guessing you ordered straight off the web or do they have stores..

what was that like...im kinda iffy about ordering anytthing online you know with credit card numbers and all

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
BEST BUY sells ALIENWARE the only good computer that they sell.
Or you can order from alienwares web site. Every one that I talked too, had all good things to say about ordering from there....

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would never buy alienware. My cousin had a horrific time with his system he bought from them. About a week after he bought it the processor cooling fan died, overheated the processor and fried it. They tried to say the he voided the warranty by getting in the computer and messing with parts and it had to be his fault for not putting the fan back on right. Now this might sound ok, but my cousin knows nothing about the inside of a computer and he didnt take anything apart. They would not fix the computer or even replace the parts. At this time it is still a legal dispute. He had the money to buy what he thought was a top of the line system. Well he paid for it alright.

I agree with buiding it yourself. Im doing some work myself right now building one and although I dont know how everything little thing fits into place at the moment, I will figure it out. Its also very fun and knowledgeable. Plus you get the added bonus of saying that you built it ;)

www.pricewatch.com
www.compgeeks.com
www.tigerdirect.com
www.dealsonic.com
www.harddrive.com
www.memman.com

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
Don't order from tigerdirect, I did I got the wrong case, the wrong
mouse, the wrong keyboard,. They send me magazines, but they
said my address is not in the computers. Plus I tried ordering a
SOYO MOTHERBOARD the first guy I talked to he said they don't
carry SOYO. But they have it in there magazines..........

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ive heard good and ive heard bad about them. My one friend from college ordered a complete off there and UPS delivered it and set it on his porch. It got stolen. He called TigerDirect and they told him to call UPS. UPS argued and said to call TigerDirect. TigerDirect fully replaced and express shipped the exact system with nothing more said. Personally I have never ordered from them but I do browse there a lot. I usually get all my parts off of pricewatch and Computer Geeks. :tongue2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.