Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm having a problem with my tv-out signal from my comp.

I'm running a generic GForce FX5200 video card and using a TV as a second monitor to run myHTPC. Now the problem is that I get loads of what appears to be an interferance pattern of some kind on my tv-out, which is kinda annoying and I;m having a hard time tracking down the cause.

I've recently upgraded my power suppply to a 300W Zalman Ultra Quiet and my mobo and cpu to a GIGABYTE GA-7VA and AMD AthlonXP 2600+ [2.08GHZ 333], using a GlobalWin FSP82 cpu-cooler.

The noise/interferance is still there so I'm guessing it didn't come from my older components.

Anyone got any ideas as to where this may come from or had a similar experiance?

Is this just a problem with the gaphics card not really being up to the job? And if so can anyone recomend a card that has a good quality tv-out signal?

I'm not really overly bothered about it being a top-rated games card, as long as it's got reasonably fast 3d and a good clean, quality picture, and not too pricey

cheers
ToMb

·
Registered
376 Posts
Are you using shielded cables to protect from interference?
Enabling Spread Spectrum in BIOS will help to reduce interference.

What drivers are you using? nVidia has released new TV-out drivers:
nVidia Drivers

Does your motherboard have VIA chipsets on it? Those are notorious for causing interference. In your BIOS, see if you can adjust PCI Latency to 64 or 128 and see if that helps.

The TV itself could be the source of the interference...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ive never used the tv-out so I can't say if mine is any better. Id like to get one of those cool wide screen small tvs for my monitor. =)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers for those suggestions, I'll give them a try this evening and see if they sort things out. My mobo does indeed have a VIA chipset on it, as did my old one so that may well be a source :(

Already using those newest drivers tho.

I'm not using particularly good cables at the moment but I'll go buy some today and see if they improve things. At the moment I'm also using the SCART input on my TV as it doesn't have an actual s-vhs input. My flatmate's got a new tv with one tho so I'll give that a go and see it. I actually noticed an improvement i the picture quality when I forced the card to output a composite signal as opposed to the s-video signal.

The forums over at the tv-tool site http://www.tvtool.info/ have a lot of usefull info on this sort of stuff as well.

cheers
ToMb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.