Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope someone out there is suitably brilliant to help with this year old problem, which is driving me crackers.

I have a Dell Dimension, XP, BT Broadband, BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router connected through CAT 5 cabling to main faceplate.

I have had many problems, which are all fixed, for background they were ..
the face plate is now fixed, BT have cleaned up the line, the modem has been changed (used to be speedtouch) and I have it connected via Ethernet not USB now. I have a perfect connection UNLESS I turn on the TV.

The TV is in another room and the satellite phone line is an independent line.

I guess it is interference of some sort, but what and how do I fix it?

It's as plain as day, broadband working fine, turn on TV - DSL light flashes, turn off TV - DSL light goes steady. Believe me I was shocked when I finally realised the connection. We have 4 TV's, but it only happens with the two connected to the satellite signal, the other 2 on games machines have no effect. One other thing I have those little mice looking things attached to both tv's whereby I can remotely change the satellite channel as sat box is in a central location.

I have co-ax and cat 5 cabling running through the fabric of the building, I cannot get to the wires to check the routing, however, even if I run a phone line extension cable direct from my office to the faceplate, thereby missing out the internal cabling completely it still happens.

I have tried everything I can think of, so I'm desperate for some gifted help. PLEASE

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
If you have ANY sub-standard wiring on the DSL incoming line, you will be very susceptible to interference. The "phone line extension" flat cable is absolutely the worst stuff you can connect DSL with! You need at least CAT3 twisted pair all the way from the service entrance to the DSL modem if you want good quality.

I'd recommend you install the DSL the way I do, a home-run of CAT3 TP from the service entrance and a single filter at the service entrance to isolate ALL of the other telephone equipment. This avoids the DSL signal running through the house, and the phone wiring acting as a giant antenna.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Is Cat 3 better than Cat 5?

As I said I have it running over Cat 5, is that not good enough? I don't know anything about Cat 3, is it better?

I only used extension lead to prove a point.

What is a single filter, not sure what you mean?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
My assumption is you have satellite TV receivers with dial up telephone modems in them. Is this the case??

If so, disconnect the phone line from the satellite receiver then power up the TV to see what happens.

A few additional questions:
Are you located in the UK?
Is the satellite receiver on at all times? Or do you power it up when the TV comes on?
Does the TV have its mains power routed through the satellite receiver in any way?
Pick up the telephone and call someone, leave the line silent, then power up a TV that knocks your DSL off line, do you hear any hum, clicking or noise on the phone line when the TV is turned on?

My guess is you have some phone wiring incorrectly connected at the jacks causing (in your case if you are in the UK) 50 Hz hum on the phone line?? that is somehow tied to the satellite TV receiver?

JamesO

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
dsl filter...

here's what's inside it: http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/dslfilt.html

here's what it looks like....

radio shack has it, that's where i got that image....

although, almost any other computer store will have it too.

also, your dsl provider might sell them for less than 5$

you're supposed to have one of these on each cord that isn't running into a dsl modem.

so, you might need alot.

however, it can be cheaper to have the dsl provider give you a jack in the wall unfiltered, and then filter the line after that, so that each phone is filtered.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
karol elliott said:
As I said I have it running over Cat 5, is that not good enough? I don't know anything about Cat 3, is it better?

I only used extension lead to prove a point.

What is a single filter, not sure what you mean?
As long as you properly connected a single twisted pair to the connection, it's fine. If you didn't use both wires of a single twisted pair, it's probably as bad or worse than flat cable.

A single filter is just that, Walt provided an example. There is also a DSL splitter that is intended to do exactly what I've always done with a filter, makes a cleaner installation.

Bad wiring is responsible for more issues with DSL than almost anything else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.