Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know all processors have their limit, or weak spot when it comes to overclocking. I've been playing around with my X2 4400+ for a while now, trying to find out exactly what the weak spot is. I successfully got it to 2.5GHz without changing anything but the fsb and the Vcore. It was 227fsb x 11multi. That was 100% stable; I ran Prime95 for 28 hours and not one error. So, I decided to try something else. The multipliers on the X2 processors are unlocked downwards, meaning I could lower the processor's speed by 200MHz for every increment I decreased the multiplier by. I brought the it down from 11 to 10, and raised the fsb to match stock speeds of 2200MHz. It booted just fine, and Prime95 was happy with the system. Since my system was stable before at 2.5GHz, I raised my fsb to match that speed (250x10). This speed, however, was not stable. Prime95 would fail after a few second's use. Does anybody know why this is happening? I figure it will give me a better idea on what these processors' weak spots are. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
906 Posts
What is probably happening is that your ram which also runs by the clock is not able to run at the new clock speed. The 227 clock speed was ok with the ram but when you changed the CPU multiplier you had to set the clock at 250 to get the same CPU speed.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping it would be the RAM. I do remember that when I raised the Vdimm voltage by 0.1v, I was able to gain more stability at higher speeds. I'll try buying some new RAM with nice timings and overclocking ability to see how the X2 likes it. The stuff I have now is Kingston ValueRAM...not necessarily meant for overclocking. A gig or so of OCZ low latency memory should do the job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.