Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am currently upgrading my Alienware system to increase my speed. I bought another Gig of RAM to bring it up to a total of 2 Gig (4 sticks of 512) and a new ATI AGP 8x video card. I installed them and my system will not reboot. I'm thinking I need to upgrade my motherboard and processor to AMDx2 but I want to use my old RAM (DDR 184 pin) and video card. What motherboard and processor is compatible with this? I have an ASUS SKV8 now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Having trouble upgrading my Alien

I am currently upgrading my Alienware system to increase my speed. I bought another Gig of RAM to bring it up to a total of 2 Gig (4 sticks of 512) and a new ATI AGP 8x video card. I installed them and my system will not reboot. I'm thinking I need to upgrade my motherboard and processor to AMDx2 but I want to use my old RAM (DDR 184 pin) and video card. What motherboard and processor is compatible with this? I have an ASUS SKV8 now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

I think that all of the motherboards for AMD CPUs that fit the AM2 socket only support DDR2 memory, so if you want to re-use the DDR memory, you're going to have to get a socket 939 AMD 6400 X2 CPU and a motherboard with the 939 socket.

Here's a list of such 939 motherboards at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200022+1070907495&name=939

I recently was kind of in the same situation, because I had an MSI K8NGM2-FID motherboard that I had a bad flash with, so the motherboard was dead, and I got the Foxconn 6150BK8MC-KRSHN2 motherboard. It's got a $20 rebate right now, through 11/22/07, I think, so it's a pretty good deal.

It arrived earlier this week, and I replaced the dead K8NGM2-FID with it, and was up in a few hours.

I was kind of amazed that the OS that I have (Win2K3 Server) almost worked after I installed the motherboard. I did have to replace the network driver using the driver software from the CD, but I didn't install all of the Nvidia drivers from the CD, because it installs an additional firewall, plus some other stuff.

My system's been stable for the last week, but your mileage may vary though...

Good luck,
Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked at those, but they are all NVidia based. I need one that will support ATI cards. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Re: Having trouble upgrading my Alien

What power supply do you have, your upgrades may have taken it over the edge.

If you upgrade you will find it very hard to find a board that supports DDR as well as AGP as these are old technologies and board manufacturers stopped supporting them some time ago, altho you may be lucky and find some "new old stock"

·
Registered
9 Posts
I looked at those, but they are all NVidia based. I need one that will support ATI cards. Any suggestions?
Hi,

I don't understand your question. The MB's chips may be NVidia, but it supports PCI and PCI Express x1 and x16.

When you say "I need one that will support ATI cards", do you mean that you need one that supports an AGP video card (you mentioned an ATI AGP 8x video card in your original post).

The Foxconn board among others, have onboard video, so with those, you wouldn't need an additional video card.

Jim

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Simpleman,

Please do not double post, I have merged your other post with this one. Double posting can hinder you getting the best advice as one user does not know what is being suggested in the other thread. It also wastes system space.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Having trouble upgrading my Alien

What power supply do you have, your upgrades may have taken it over the edge.

If you upgrade you will find it very hard to find a board that supports DDR as well as AGP as these are old technologies and board manufacturers stopped supporting them some time ago, altho you may be lucky and find some "new old stock"
Hi,

I agree with your last sentence, but, although I may be wrong, I think that the only MBs that supported 64-bit CPUs that also supported both DDR and AGP were the socket 754 ones, and those only support/supported 2 or 3 DIMM sockets...

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.