Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I'm trying to setup a network so other people can access my server's hard drives on their computers.

Here's my current setup: I have 2 computers in my home network (both desktops connected to router). The first PC has Windows 2003 Server installed, and the other Windows XP Pro. I have 2 hard drives on the Windows 2003 Server box. To share them, I simply right click on My Computer (on the Windows XP box) and clicked on "Manage Map Network Drive". I put in the server name and "D$" in the folder. It worked perfectly. I can access the drive easily through my computer, save files, delete, etc.

However, the problem now is that I'm trying to share the hard drives on my Windows 2003 Server box with any user on the internet, most specifically my friends. So they can use these drives to save there files, and so on. I told my friend to try the same thing (Map Network Drive) and instead of putting in the server name, put my server's ip. It didn't even connect. Then I found out on somesite that I need to enable WINS and Netbios to make them accessible over the internet. Thats what I did then. I enabled WINS server and openned ports 135-139 on the server box. Now my friend was able to connect to the server using the ip, but here's the problem that I cant seem to figure out. Whenever he attempts to login, it says "Logon Unsuccessful...Be sure that your user name and password are correct." I'm pretty sure the user name and password are correct. I even gave him the administrator account and password, and yet still it gives him the same error. In Win2003, I selected "Administrators" and "WINS User" in user properties (Member Of dialog box). Still the same error.

I have no clue whats causing this problem. I'm pretty sure its not a port problem as he can connect infact, but the login is unsuccessful. Anyone here have an idea how to fix this?

P.S: I'm not really concerned about security as this is my old pc that I decided to convert to a server. So really doesn't matter what happens to it, and no I dont want to use FTP server (sorry).

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
IT-Pro said:
P.S: I'm not really concerned about security as this is my old pc that I decided to convert to a server.
Don't take this the wrong way, but it really annoys me when people say that. Of course you should be concerned with security! This is exactly how computers get taken over to be used for distributed denial of service attacks. This is also how YOU can get in trouble if someone (not necessarily one of your friends) happens to upload something illegal onto your computer, and you get caught with it. Guess who will take the fall?

You are just making things hard on yourself by not using something as simple as FTP, where each user can have their own passworded account. On the other hand, if you don't want to use FTP, then that is your prerogative, but you make sure you secure your system while you are at it because I can't, in good conscious, help someone configure a purposely insecure computer that could very well get infected and someday start attacking one of my computers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Resolution said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but it really annoys me when people say that. Of course you should be concerned with security! This is exactly how computers get taken over to be used for distributed denial of service attacks. This is also how YOU can get in trouble if someone (not necessarily one of your friends) happens to upload something illegal onto your computer, and you get caught with it. Guess who will take the fall?

You are just making things hard on yourself by not using something as simple as FTP, where each user can have their own passworded account. On the other hand, if you don't want to use FTP, then that is your prerogative, but you make sure you secure your system while you are at it because I can't, in good conscious, help someone configure a purposely insecure computer that could very well get infected and someday start attacking one of my computers.

I'm sorry if I annoyed you but I really did mean that I'm not concerned about the security on that particular system. I monitor my server almost all the time so there's no way someone could put illegal stuff on it. Also, I change my ip every week just to be more secure. So really, I'm not concerned about the security. I know the system quite well by now. I have no antivirus, no firewall, just a router. Thats all I need to be secure. I have had no problems with windows from 3 years now.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
I predict that will change if you route unprotected file shares over the Internet. :grin:

I suggest an FTP server, MUCH safer for such use...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.