Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just copying files right from my c drive (which contains 2 defunct windows folders that the pc doesnt use.. I had no clue what i was attempting to do years ago with this install.) onto my e drive which is the primary drive. i am going to reformat the c drive to install windows 7.

Now what happened is that i went to disconnect the one drive to make 100% certain the windows folders on c are not in use (im sure theyre not since they havent been modified in years) but ran into an error on bootup where the system couldnt find the file ntldr. I had to burn this fix from my laptop onto a dvd and then run that and it fixed it. What happened was that in the root c drive folder was the ntldr file (and a few others apparently) that i moved into a folder on my e drive in my attempts to preserve everything from the c drive for after i format it.. I moved all those little files back to the root c drive. I checked in the root e folder and those files arent there. I was expecting there to be copies of them at least.

I then copied those files from the c: root dir to the E: root dir. I then unplugged c and booted and i get the "error loading os" or "os not found" i forget the exact error message... This may have something to do with e: being a SATA drive and c: being an IDE drive however.

Anyway, for whatever reason, the pc will not recognize the e drive on the SATA as bootable. I read that if I boot from the xp cd and choose repair on the e drive, it may fix the issue. Wondering what you all think of that?

All i want to do is be able to boot from e for now until I make the c drive the win 7 install / bootable main drive. If anyone could explain the easiest path to take to accomplish that at this point, that would be swell.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.