158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maunfacturer ECS
Model# K7S5A
Bios Brand: American Megatrends
AMD Athlon MP
Codename: Thoroughbred
Socket A (462)

I am doing this to learn for school, so I understand more. Its not really a necessity, more for my well being. I tried researching so hard this last 2 weeks but cannot figure it out!! I took ouy mt wifes old 462 sockett/heat sink and that was a booming 1Ghz. After that I bought a new 462 processor 1.7 Ghz to help speed it up, well it didn't. I was told that in order for it to take effect I would have to upgrade the Bios. I read here, as well as many other forums and just cannot figure out how. All I know for sure is I do not want to pay someone to help me do his when you all can help me!!!

PS. Yes I read all the stickies, and please do not send me a link to click on because that doesn't really prove or help anything?(no offence)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You really lost me on that one brother, thanks for the help though. Hopefully someone else can guide/train me.

PS. Don't know what Manual you are talking about. and what ECS has to do with.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am so sorry, I didn't explain myself correctly the first time. Its just an old motherboard that I used to put together a computer for him and practice with school. I do not have any pappers for it. Just not sure what to do and how to flash the Bios, as they say so it can utilize my new processor.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ofcourse I have, I just do not understand. The only thing I think I understand is that I need a Floppy, but there still are so many things to choose from. Just not sure where to start or, if I even need a Floppy.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
"IF" your Mobo will boot from a USB device (check in the Bios) you can substitute a USB thumb drive for the floppy.

What Bios do you have and what version?
AFU:
AFUDOS
AFUWIN
AFUUSB

AWARD:
AWARD DOS
WINFLASH
AMI
AMIDOS
AMI WINFLASH

NVIDIA:
NVIDIA DOS

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TYREE do you really know the answer on how to help me, or are you just good at giving people links to click on. Hey..No offence, I just need help and you seem to be going in circles with me. Who knows, maybe you forgot that you were in my position one time trying to learn, but what ever it is, you have been NO help. can anyone else please help taech m how to upgrade my Bios? I already put my socket in, but it still says 1ghz instead of 1.7ghz

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
I linked you to the ECS website where you will find downloads and instructions for using the ECS Flash Utility.
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Dow...nuID=0&LanID=0
Did you go there? Did you use the "Downloads Search" in the upper left hand corner? Did you use it? Did you clik on "How to use flash utility"?
My apologies for not being of any help but I can't do it for you from here.

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
we can only point you to the information you need to perform the tasks
if you don't understand how to accomplish it,do you have a friend that does and can show you
if not you may be better off taking it in to be fixed and ask them to show you how they do it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.