Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well everyone, my friend brought over his computer cause his HD took a crap. I am not the greatest with computers but I know my way around them better that him. So here goes. It is a Western Digital and it is brand new. It came with a disk that said to start from that disk on startup. Only problem is that the cd-rom is not recognized and working. So I tried to use a 98SE startup disk and the drivers that are on the startup do not work with the drive. So I went to their site and got the correct driver, the only problem is that I'm not sure how to load that driver so that I may be able to use the cd-rom with the startup disk.
thanks for all the help in advance.
theo

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi twink_893 and welcome to the forum,

Seems like you have two problems. One is the hard drive and the other is the CDRom drive.

Start from the basics....how do you have the drives hooked up, I mean all of them.

Example:

IDE #1...................Boot Hard Drive................CDRom
IDE #2..........................................................CD/DVD

Tell us where it is hooked up on the motherboard, (ide slot), what else is on the cable, how the jumpers are set and where it is located on the ribbon cable.

That way, maybe we can get both going. What I suspect is that you have the jumpers on any other drive on that cable set so they don't match what you are putting in.

If that is the case, then take the new drive (WD) and set the jumpers on the drive to MASTER (they come cable select from the factory), then make sure that any other drive on that cable is set to SLAVE. The Master must be on the end of the ribbon cable and the slave in the middle of the ribbon cable.

Post back and let us know what happens when you do this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok the cd-rom is on the port to the left. the new hd is plugged into the one on the right. It has the jumper set to master. the jumper clip is on the middle of the 5 pins. I put the disk that came with the hd in the cd drive and start the computer it comes up with the gateway screen and the comes up to a black screen and says "operating system no found"
theo

also both drives are on the plug-ins at the ends of the cables

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

If the Western Digital drive (WD is different than many of them) is alone on the ribbon cable (no other drives on that cable), then take off all the jumpers and put it on the end of the ribbon cable and then you should be able to use the disk that came with the drive. Try that and post back. It is the best idea to have the hard drive on the IDE #1 slot (don't know which that is on yours), but if the old hard drive was on there, then leave it there if the old one worked.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok pulled off jumper and still the same thing. also i looked on the board and the hd is plugged into the pri ide slot so i'm assuming that is the ide slot #1

the cd-rom nuver even lights up on startup

theo

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When i try to start up form the 98start-up disk a get a message that says "windows 98 has detected that drive c does not contain a valid FAT or FAT32 partition. There are several possible causes.' and then it lists three different causes and one of them is to run fdisk but not sure what partitions that i should create.

theo

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hwm54112
Are you undecided as to size of partitions or between fat and fat 32?

I formatted the HD but maybe I did something wrong on the partitions?
I'm not exactly sure what I need to do. It is an 80GIG HD that will be used for a home computer and 1 OS. So I don't need anything special. This is my first time installing a new HD so any thoughts or info would be really helpful.

thanks,
theo :sayyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok everyone. now when i start with 98SE start-up and try to run fdisk it says "No Fixed Disks Present"

And in regular start-up it still says that there is no FAT or FAT32 how do i correct that if I cannot format the HD?

Any help thanks,
theo

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Theo:

the main reason you are having this problem is because win 98SE fdisk is limited to 32gig drives and or partitions / so it doesnt recognise the drive because it doesnt know what a 80 gig drive is ?????

you have two options / download the Win ME bootdisk (improved fdisk utility for larger drives) or use the win xp drive partitioner which pops up using the win xp boot CD ??????

the win ME bootdisk can be found at www.bootdisk.com (free)

all OS's need at least one partition before it can install the OS / like having one big "C" drive well that one partition

dont hesitate to ask more questions

regards

joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.