Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never posted here before so I apologize if this question or something similair has been asked elsewhere. If you could link me to the thread ill follow it.

Otherwise here is my problem.

Im trying to setup my old HDD as a second HDD on my PC. Main HDD is set as Master, second as Cable (sticker on case doesnt show details on a slave setting). They share the same IDE cable which is connected to the uppermost motherboard port.

Whats known of the corrupt HDD is that one day it decided to stop working. Possibly the work of a bad shutdown or a good kick in by an angry user :1angel: . Lest to say it boots but crashes when the XP loader finishes and trys to launch XP. I tryed repairing via a Boot disc and even formating but all I recieved was errors.

When I start the PC it successfully boots, HOWEVER it doesnt get past the XP loader and crashes just as XP finishes loading. My thoughts were that its not booting from the right HDD as this is the behaviour the corrupt HDD follows. But changing boot device (HDD-0 HDD-1) doesnt seem to help. Ive tried switching the IDE cable pattern and even using a seperate IDE cable for each HDD.

The main HDD does appear to be listed as Primary Master and the corrupt HDD is listed as Primary Slave. When I disconnect the corrupt HDD from the IDE cable (leaving the Main HDD in) XP starts as normal.

All im trying to do is retrieve some files from the corrupt HDD and find a way to format it. But if it isnt possible to access the HDD sacrifice of files isnt a too bigger deal, its music.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
First thing I would try would be to find out which jumpers are for slave, not
cable select. Option 2, which probably will be quicker. Reset the drive to
primary again, and attach it to the secondary ide channel by itself. Then
when you boot all should be good.,You hope. Then if the drive is acessable
you can dump it to C: good luck

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Post the make and model info for the two hdd's so we can check the proper jumper settings for both and possibly find some manufacturer utility programs for the suspect drive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Corrupt HDD
Baracuda 7200.7 120gb
model: ST3120026A

Main HDD
Western Digital
WD Caviar 120gb
model: WD2000GBB-22GUA0

Will try your suggestion Maniac, ta

EDIT:

Didnt work, it seems to be booting from the corrupt HDD no matter what changes I make to bios. :sayno:

·
retired
1,966 Posts
For cable select you need an 80 conductor 40 pin IDE data cable. (has blue-grey-black connectors)

If you don't have one then buy it to get the full benefit of the drive(s) capabilities-Ultra ATA100 (mode 5).

Cable Select jumpers and connector arrangement...

motherboard]Blue-----grey[secondary]----black[primary]

motherboard----------ST3120026A-----WD2000BB
motherboard]-----------[:|::]-------[::::|]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For standard Master\Slave jumper settings

motherboard----------ST3120026A-----WD2000BB
motherboard]-----------[::::]-------[::|::] (note: no jumpers on ST3120026A as slave)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST3120026A http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,580,00.html
WD2000BB http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=35

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for not replying so soon.

I tryed what you said and it didnt work. Furthermore the next day I accidently shortcircuited my motherboard. :dead:

So I bought a brand spanking new one :grin:

Asus A8N-SLI
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
GeForce 7800 GTX

Im still trying to install all the drivers for it, but hopefully it should run a dream. Cant wait till i can afford to get some corsair ram in it.

To end this thread, I took it into college where they couldnt get it to work. They suggested handing it to a clever Lecturer who can pick and prod away at it.

Cheers for all the help nontheless

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.