Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings -

My son's laptop at college had a BSOD. He has the XP Install CD (OEM) and has been attempting to do a repair install. He has moved the BIOS to have the USB CD-ROM be a priority for booting. The system boots up and it says: "press any key to continue".

After a long list of drivers, devices, etc., he continually comes to the partition page for C and D Drives, with no prompt available. He has not been able to reach the XP Professional Setup page where it lists these 3 options: 1) To set up Windows XP, press ENTER - 2) To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R - 3) To quite Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

What is happening? Why can't he reach the setup page? Why is the partition options page the only thing he can access? Is it the Install CD?

Any help you can give would be so appreciated.

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts
Sounds like the disk doesn't include the Recovery Console, so there would be no need for the first page.

Should be able to select the partition that has Windows on it, then setup will check for existing installs and offer to repair. Though it's possible the CD will only allow a clean install.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer -

My son has an official OEM XP Pro Install CD - I'm certain that it has (or had) a Recovery Console and the blue screen setup (with 3 options) because I installed Windows XP for him after removing Windows Vista.

I have come to the conclusion that the Install CD must be corrupted - will try to find another XP Pro CD to verify this.

I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know what this problem is, but i figure i'd throw this in just for the sake of knowing.. I have a oem xp pro install cd as well, every computer i have used it on has given me the option on page 1 as "install xp, repair with recovery, cancel" and with install xp option i could always use "install xp, repair existing xp install" but on one computer (that had xp pro installed) would not give me the option to use the Windows Repair Install option, OR the recovery console option. after researching it i found that a virus can actually cause the disk to not give you the option to repair, so if that is possible it may also be possible that whatever line was read to hide that option, could also cause other options to be hidden/not work. i know this doesn't help but this is a fact, i've had it happen to me. on the same computer the virus also stopped System Restore from loading, windows installer from loading, internet/lan connections to not respond, as well as a mess of other problems rendering the computer 100% unfixable. i ended up having to format that computer obviously =P

I know it doesn't help, but it's a good possibility.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greetings -

I appreciate your information concerning a possible hidden virus. It could explain a lot of unusual occurences leading up to the BSOD. I will definitely keep it in mind while working through the laptop problem.

Again, thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.