Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to hook up 2 routers to work together at work. The first router appears to be a cable modem/router that was supplied by our ISP (SMC Networks SMC8014), and the second is a Belkin F5D7231-4 wireless router that i had at home. The goal is to get the wireless router working so that we can offer free wireless to our customers, while leaving the cable modem/router running in the office to service our office equipment. I have two routers running together on my network at home, so i know this is not impossible. I have tried every setting that i know of, and have still had no luck. If anyone can help me with this, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

As a side note, i have also made sure there are no IP conflicts between the two routers. I am not able to access the modem/router's configuration page using the default gateway ip i found when using IPConfig. I have also disabled the dhcp server on the wireless router, still having no luck. I also tried the "use as access point" feature, but when i do this, it won't allow me to connect to the configuration page and i still have no connection, forcing me to reset the router to factory settings and start all over again.

·
Premium Member
8,370 Posts
this may help - but i suspect as you have two routers at home , you have already tried this

I'll look at the SMC and see if theres anything special there

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together
From a JohnWill post

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried everything mentioned in that article. Still no luck. I have noticed two things though:

- My router's configuration has a built in "use as access point" feature. It looks like it basically does all of that for me... changes the IP address, and turns off the NAT. However; when i use this, i still have no luck.

- With the configuration set the way it is explained in the article, The "Internet Settings" in the belkin configuration page come up with the Subnet Mask, Wan Ip Default Gateway, and DNS address blank.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
Exactly what do you mean "still no luck"?

What exactly is not working?
Did you connect from the main routers lan port to the secondary routers lan port using a crossover cable?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.