Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I've made a boot cd with ntldr: NTDETECT.COM: and boot.ini ... it works until I get this point where is says:

[DR-DOS] A:\>

I'm just stick at this point ... any help and guidance will be greatly appreciated it!!

Ish

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Yeah, I looked at that info, but nothing there is useful... Actually, I know the course of it ... it took a while but it seems that when you burn all three files, using Nero, somehow it adds other files without you knowing.

From what i have found out it seems that all three iamges need to be burn as an image ... another headache, may I add!!

Now, having issues with that ...

Well, we'll see what happens with this saga!

Ish

·
Registered
352 Posts
You will need your xp cd for this:
Put it in and when you get to windows setup choose r for recovery console.
At the command prompt type copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\ and enter (replace E with your cd drive letter) then type
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\ (replace E with your cd drive letter) then exit and restart.

If that dows not work at recovery console type chkdsk /p /r

·
Registered
352 Posts
This is a fix suggested by Dunedin to someone else who could not boot.

You will need an XP Installation CD to try to fix this. Try to borrow one just to run this fix.

Configure your PC to boot from CD if it isn't already set up that way. (You may need to enter the BIOS to configure the PC to boot from the CD.)
Set the boot order to
floppy (if present)
CD/DVDROM
Hard disk
SAVE and EXIT

Start your PC with the XP Setup CD in the drive. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD..." prompt, do so and let the CD-based boot process begin.

When the Recovery Console option is offered (Press R to start the Recovery Console), do so. You may be asked which Windows installation to enter, in which case type the number of the Windows installation you wish to work on (usually 1).

When prompted, enter the Administrator's password for that Windows installation. If you did not set a password just press ENTER

At the command prompt, type
Bootcfg /Rebuild
ENTER

The exact wording will depend on your setup, but after a few moments you'll see a prompt that says something like:
Total Identified Windows Installs: 1
[1] C:\Windows
Add Installation To Boot List?

Assuming the information you see is correct, enter
Y
Bootcfg will start the process of rebuilding the boot list to include the indicated Windows installation

After a moment, you'll be asked to "Enter Load Identifier."
This is the name of the operating system that will appear in boot menus.
Type either
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
or
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
ENTER
Next you'll be asked to "Enter OS Load Options."
For normal installations, enter
/Fastdetect
ENTER

Type
Exit
to leave the Recovery Console and reboot the PC

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot -- appreciate your knowledge and guidance with this issue!!

I'm not home at this time, but when I get home I'll do as you have instructed. Since I have a few laptops, I can read your instructions off those, and try to get my desktop back up and running!

I'll get back to this thread with the results in a day or so depending on real life situations, which takes us all from the computer world!

Again, thanks and appreciated it immensely!! :wave:

Ish

·
Banned
968 Posts
Hi :wave:

If you have a CD with the files on, at the A:\> command, type in X: (Where X is the CD drive letter)

Then type:
copy X:\ntdetect.com c:\

And do this for the three files on the CD.

Just make sure BOOT.INI is correct for the system in question, or the steps listed above will be neccesary to create a new valid one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello dasleyefox

I did as you have instructed, and I got to a point where the pc said that the ntldr is compressed. After searching around I figure how to undo this. However, now the pc is telling me that <Windows>\system32\hal.dll' is missing or corrupted. Trying to figure this out…. So I’ll get back with my results.

On a note on the bootcfg, I get an error where it says windows have failed to san disks for windows installation, etc.

I did the rebuild method, but to no avail.

I did the chkdsk and it reports back that everything is fine!!

Still, with all that I get the message above, about the windows\system.

Thank you so much for your help!!

=================================================

Hello afccarl666

Yes, I did as you have instructed as well, and it’s the same results!!

Thanks you

Ish

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ISSUE now is the \i386\hal.dl is mising or corrupted

I have tried to copy it from the CD but it keeps telling me that the system cannot find the file specified ...

this is what I typed up:

D:\WINDOWS>COPY H:\i386\hal.dll
That's the line I have and I click enter:

Afterwards, it says the system cannot find the file specified ...

Any help anyone, please! Thanks
Ish

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you are trying to copy the hal.dll file from your cd to your c drive at the prompt you need to type copy x:\i386\hal.dll c:\ (where x is your cd drive whatever letter that is)

The other option is to put your xp cd in your computer and get to the recovery console at the prompt type in sfc /scannow this shoulkd look for all your windows files and replace any broken ones. This does take some time to complete--be patient!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Again, and thank you for helping me!!!

Both methods have failed …

First method: (please note that "H "in this case is the cdrom)

This is how it looks like when I type everything:

D:\WINDOWS>COPY H:\i386\hal.dll C:\
I pressed enter:

It then says:
The command is not recognized Type HELP for a list of supported commands,

Second method:
This is how it looks like when I type everything:

D:\WINDOWS>sfc /scannow
I press enter.

And again it says:
Ish

·
Registered
352 Posts
When you go to recovery console, it brings you to a D:\ prompt?
I would think your windows installation would be on C:\Windows> At the d:\ prompt type in c: and enter, if this takes you to a c:\Windows> prompt try typing the commands in there. If it is D:\WINDOWS> youhave to have a space after the D:\WINDOWS> before you begin typing the copy line example below:

D:\WINDOWS> Copy H:\i386\hal.dll c:\ there is a space between D:\WINDOWS> and copy it also applies to sfc /scannow

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi again …

This is what I have wrote:

I switched from D:\WINDOWS> to C:

It gives me this: C:\>

Afterwords I type this:

This fails
C:\>Copy H:\i386\hal.dll c:\

This fails
C:\> Copy H:\i386\hal.dll c:\

I have also performed variations such as:

This fails
D:\WINDOWS> Copy H:\i386\hal.dll c:\

D:\WINDOWS>Copy H:\i386\hal.dll c:\

All of these commands have fail – keeps saying that:

Sp, I thought maybe there’s something wrong with the copy, so, as a test to myself, I typed up this:

D:\WINDOWS> copy H:\i386\ntldr c:\

The above command which you instructed me to do still works, so I don’t understand why D:\WINDOWS> Copy H:\i386\hal.dll c:\ or any variations that I have used failed.

Also, do you mean this?:
D:\WINDOWS>sfc /scannow
D:\WINDOWS> copy sfc /scannow
???

Thanks for your help!!!!
Ish

·
Registered
352 Posts
You are using your xp cd disk to get to recovery console and when you get there it is a D:\windows prompt, your windows operating system is on d:\ drive correct? If so try this and make sure you use spaces,

D:\WINDOWS> sfc /scannow there is a space after the> and after sfc

·
Registered
352 Posts
How to restore hal.dll from the windows xp cd.

Put your windows xp cd in the cd drive. When you get to the command prompt type the following and press enter.

expand h:\i386\hal.dll_ d:\windows\system32\hal.dll

You may need a space after the d:\windows> before you type expand.
There is also a space after expand and after hal.dll_ before d:\windows\system32\hal.dll

In your case You are telling me that H:\ is your cd drive and that D:\ is where your operating system resides if that is so then type the above in and press enter it may prompt you saying overwrite file then you want to type y and enter.

Some people have found if the hal.dll file is not being expanded properly they drop the hal.dll from the end of the command line to appear like below.

expand h:\i386\hal.dll_ d:\windows\system32\

Again you may need a space after the D:\WINDOWS> and before typing expand.

There is also a space after expand and after hal.dll_ before d:\windows\system32

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay.... this is what I have written:

I first tried the command line you wrote, and when that failed I tried variations of it .... below is what I typed up -- actually, I am looking at the monitor and typing word for word what I typed!!

*Note: all of these have failed!

All said that the system cannot fine the file...

D:\WINDOWS> expand H:\i386\hal.dll d:\windows\system32\hal.dll

D:\WINDOWS>expand H:\i386\hal.dll d:\windows\system32\hal.dll

D:\WINDOWS> expand H:\i386\hal.dll d:\windows\system32\

D:\WINDOWS>expand H:\i386\hal.dll d:\windows\system32\

I just don't get it ... I am very detailed and all of these commands are not working, except those for the ntldr ... why doesn't the others command lines ? ... it's just weird. And to be honest, I can't reinstalled windows ... thats not an option me.

I appreciated all of your help and guidance!!
Ish

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.