Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time back TSF got my setup going under Win2k where 2 computers on a switch both using Win2k could both connect to the Internet and get files going back and forth with sharing.

I've been trying to get XP on this network in place of one of my Win2k drives. The XP can see the Internet and is installing programs. It does not see a 3.5 drive installed to the system. That system is a Machspeed motherboard with onboard Ethernet connected to a D-link four-port switch. The switch is connected to an Actiontec 701 which performs the function of a router between USB and dsl. The USB is not used at the Router.

The Win2k machine is an older Tyan board with an installed Linksys NIC which has been working fine. This is plugged to the Dlink 4 port switch as well.

I've already had the advice given about going to homenet.net and did the procedures there.

Both machines say they are associated with HOMENET which is the name of the work group

Attempts to set up sharing have just gone awry. I've been through all the wizards etc and still nothing showing on the opposite machine that it sees the other through HOMENET.

On the XP box I can view the HOMENET work group. It is still empty even though it shows the machine name lon1machspeed and HOMENET in the profile.

No drive mapping has been attempted.

NetBios over TCP/IP has been set up already and also turning off XP Firewall. I don't know how to test by PING the XP machine with no ipconfig available. None of this is covered in my helper book.

The only thing that appears in My Network Places in XP is the Actiontec router. Can we start there and tell me why only the Router/dsl shows up?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
The reason that the Actiontec router shows up is UPNP on the router.

For each machine, I'd like to see this.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following two commands:

nbtstat -n

ipconfig /all

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason that the Actiontec router shows up is UPNP on the router.

For each machine, I'd like to see this.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following two commands:

nbtstat -n

ipconfig /all

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Jeez I remember when you guys never answered anything on the weekends-- like it was a job.

I will do this tomorrow. Right now I'm burnt.

But of note when I switched out the XP disk with my new cleaned Win2k install (after several years of use and collecting up stuff) the thing found that pesky machine called lon2tyan no problem.

It said found HOMENET on lon2tyan.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeez I remember when you guys never answered anything on the weekends-- like it was a job.

I will do this tomorrow. Right now I'm burnt.

But of note when I switched out the XP disk with my new cleaned Win2k install (after several years of use and collecting up stuff) the thing found that pesky machine called lon2tyan no problem.

It said found HOMENET on lon2tyan.

Ok I am back. what was your outage all about? TSF was down for days.

I ran the commands on Win2k and copied out the results. I'll have to manually put them in notepad. But before I do that I have errors to report on the XP.

Following the same command sequence, XP gives the standard error:

'nbtstat' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Same happens with ipconfig /all. I was able to do a directory in this DOS box so I know the OS is functioning.

Why would the DIR command be found and not nbtstant or ipconfig?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
There was a major failure of a database server, hopefully it's all better now. :smile:

You apparently have a path error. DIR is an internal command which is contained in the CMD module, while the others are external commands.

At a command prompt, please type PATH >c:\path.txt

Open c:\path.txt with notepad and paste the entire contents here.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was a major failure of a database server, hopefully it's all better now. :smile:

You apparently have a path error. DIR is an internal command which is contained in the CMD module, while the others are external commands.

At a command prompt, please type PATH >c:\path.txt

Open c:\path.txt with notepad and paste the entire contents here.
Amazingly all this went smoothly and I am writing from the XP machine.

Here is the text from the path.txt file:

PATH=C:\WINDOWS.1\system32;C:\WINDOWS.1;C:\WINDOWS.1\System32\Wbem

While you were out I had a snafu of my own and reinstalled and lost the installed software I put on. Once I got Firefox back on, was able to reply here.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Unless you're installed Windows in a folder named Windows.1, that's your problem. This is what should be there.

PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;

You can change this in Control Panel, System, Advanced, and click the Environment Variables button. Edit the path under System Variables.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless you're installed Windows in a folder named Windows.1, that's your problem. This is what should be there.

PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;

You can change this in Control Panel, System, Advanced, and click the Environment Variables button. Edit the path under System Variables.
Great. I will let you know my progress.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, this is getting pretty weird.

I made the edits at PATH under environmental variable.
Also found a Windows.1 at windir and Comspec, so edited those as well.

After restarting and going to cmd to run ipconfig and nbtstat I could see that the directory that the cmd command had brought me to was still C:WINDOWS.1\system32\cmd.exe and command failure resulted.

Changes made to environmental variables were still fixed but did not change the failure to execute cmd's. It's like XP was reinstalled in a directory or something.

I reviewed what I know about running msconfig but that did not help

I backed out through the Default User directories (trying to remember these DOS commands as I went). If there are multiple bogus directories, autoexecs or config files
I'll not know what I'm looking at. The debug/edit process for you (John) will be an unending headache trying to go line by line with me.

The install dials out ok and runs all my stuff. Maybe I should just try to direct cable the machines with a crossover wire-- what's called an Ethernet crossover cable (?)

There seems to be a lot of difference between Win2k and XP. Win2k will do me for a lot of years yet.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Something is very wrong if you have both folders, I think you may be installing XP fresh.

Well for now I am going to give it a rest and call it unsolved. if the need arises, it works, it just doesn't network right. If I want to go with a crossover cable, I'll start a new topic.

Thanks for all the time you've put into his. I've learned a lot about
how the command box is handled in XP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.