1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First things first. System configuration:

Jupiter Case Model PSR-4609d7
Demon 480W Power Supply
( http://svcompucycle.stores.yahoo.net/demon480.html )
1 5 1/4" Bay Intake Fans and 3 Rear Outtake Fans
MSI 848P Neo-V Motherboard
Intel P4 Prescott Extreme Edition 3.0 Ghz Processor
2 Corsair XMS3200 1024MB 400Mhz Memory Sticks
Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 256Mb Graphics Card
52x32x52 CDR/RW
DX-DVDR100 DVD Rom
3 1/2" Floppy Drive
2 Hitachi 7200 S-ATA Hard Drives 80GB

Windows XP Ver. 5.1.2600 SP2 Build 2600
Zone Alarm Security Suite

Things started out as what looked like memory problems I thought may have been derived from a faulty PSU. When memory was tested both separately and together with Memtest for at least 8 hours a piece found no errors on the memory.

Now to the problem. Since those tests the computer quit working. Fans turn, but no beeps and no post.

First thought was Power supply. Went and bought another PSU. When taking it out I heard some clinking from inside the PSU itself and thought its definitely the PSU. I cracked open the PSU to find a capacitor had lost its housing. Definitely thought that was it. Put in the new PSU and all problems persisted. I am going to go ahead a replace the PSU with an Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 ATX12V 550W PSU.
I am thinking PSU took out MOBO. Should I wait get the PSU and try new memory on the current board, or maybe try new video card. Seem pretty safe to replace the mobo. If the suggestion is to replace the MOBO I am looking at one of these : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16813136026,N82E16813136027,N82E16813135025

Any suggestions on better MOBOs or troubleshooting tips are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

While Antec makes great supplies most of the time, the supply you selected as Speedster has so ably said, is one of the weaker ones in their line. It also has issues with some boards so I would not buy that one if it were my decision to make.

Take a look at this baby by Antec. It is on sale right now for a great price and it is loaded with power:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817371001

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had looked at that particular PSU a couple of times. Only thing I do not lke about it. The way the PSU sit in my case the 120mm fan will face the top of the case. It has about a half a inch or spse between it and the case, but seems that would impeed airflow and allow the PSU to run hotter than normal. Thats why I decided to choose a PSU that had a fan at the back of the case.

Now back to troubleshooting. I have tried a new PSU with system already and it did not change anything. I am only buying a new PSU is junk and I found the loose housing, but that does not change the fact the computer still did not function with a new 500W PSU I bought for troubleshooting.

Still need recomendation on next troubleshooting step. In my opinion the ols PSU took out the MOBO when it lost it capacitor. Looking at the MOBOs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16813136026,N82E16813136027,N82E16813135025

If the next step is to go ahead and try another MOBO would like either a suggestion one above or if any one has a different suggestion for a rock solid high performance 478SKT Prescott 3ghz PC3200 board. Let me know.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can not get into bios much less Windows for temps. Only spinning fans. thats all I get.

Was thinking of trying an ASUS P4S800D for a MOBO.

I know that the above MOBO is not listed in the compatibility table, but I have contacted customer support and hoping that they tell I am able to use an Turbo-Cool 510 ATX with it. As usual all recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a nice board. I like that it has 4GB of memory, and that it is based on the Intel 865G ICH5 chip set. I just wished it had RAID. As it is i am also looking at a ABIT IC7-G for about $150.00 new. Still wondering about a power supply though. The Turbo-Cool 510 ATX still does not list this MOBO in its compatibility list. What everyone think of this combo? Once again i am not opposed to say an Antec PSU I just want to make sure that it has a fan that blows to the rear of the case. The other PSU's sit in my chassis so that the other style fan set up blow directly to the top of my chassis which is only say 1/2 an inch from the PSU.

Thanks in Advance,
Rick

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
The turbo cool 510 ATX will work fine in either the Abit or Asus mobo. Note... for $10 more you can get the pc p&c 750 silencer @ newegg $199 or for $169 the 610W silencer ! I run one of the deluxe versions of the Turbo cool 510 in my current system....rock stable, even with all the stuff I have in it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks fo r the advice. I have the PSU on the way. Going to plug it in to my current configuration and see if i get some beeps or something. Just not quite convinced MOBO is a problem yet. Want to troubleshott a bit more with a good PSU first. If I can verify the MOBO I will then go for the Abit board.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just wanted to post so that the thread would not be ended. Had some trobles getting the PSU and had to re-order so still waiting on it. Will repost once I put it in.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Sorry for my late arrival into the fray, but capacitors just don't lose their cans ... I suspect that the original power supply got overloaded or had severe problems leading to a small explosion which resulted in the capacitor "discharging" its housing. This happens when they get too hot too quick like when a voltage gets applied in reverse or if the voltage goes way above the rated value too quickly.
Having said that it would follow that the resulting voltage fluctuations could upset your motherboard quite severely. A mates PIII which had a similar event was a total write off, the only card which survived was the 56K modem which in view of the mess that was seen elsewhere, was also replaced. In fact he went out & bought a new PC.
That's not to say that the same has happened here .. My brothers P4 1,5GHz which he tried to run at 110V ac from the 240Vac supply blew the power supply fuse and has since refused to run at more than 48MHz rather than 133MHz base frequency. It's a question of luck.
I would serously think about checking all individual components of your system on other systems (by swapping them for a few hours) to seec what appears to be functioning and might be "GOOD" & what is inoperable before going to the lengths of grabbing individual parts to see if they are stopping you from booting. Forget the PSU. It's not worth the hassle of trying to fix. Get a good quality unit as has been suggested and as you seem to be doing.

A few points to note.
You don't need a CPU on your mobo in order to make it power on. The power on/off circuit is independant of the CPU.
If you power on your mobo with only the CPU & Speaker attached you should get a warning beep to indicate that you have no memory.
If you power on with ONLY CPU, Speaker and memory installed, you should get a different beep code to indicate that the VGA card is missing.
Likewise if you power on after adding the VGA but not connecting the monitor then another beep code should be issued to warn you of this.
These are basic tests to see whether the CPU is following BIOS when booting. If you get no monitor posting you could try to reset BIOS in case the "voltage spike" disrupted the BIOS settings.
As I said before though I think it's a better idea to test everything first (INDIVIDUALLY) on another "COMPATABLE" system first in case damaged components are affecting your ability to properly diagnose your systems failure. You may have more than one faulty item which would confuse the faultfinding. Consider everything as faulty until you can prove it works.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unfortunatley, this is the only system in the house. So, Its either troubleshoot one component at a time or just start all over. I figure no matter what though I need a good PSU. ;)

Thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Richard:

I would grab the antec trio 650 watt or OCZ 600 the Corsair is a very good unit but the 520 watts is light for a fully loaded system like you are using.

for about $120.00 you can get a very good 600 watt PSU or 65o watt that will work alot easier and produce less heat inside the "box"

as for mobo the Abit IC-7G is very good but my choice would be either the asus P4P800-E deluxe or P4C800-E Deluxe both have raid connectors too!

The "C" is full featured to the hilt but a bit tempermental, the "P" is a connect and go board.

The ECS you linked above is very low qaulity and not in the league of the motherboard which I bet got killed by the poor quality PSU; my suggestion: dont repeat the same mistake twice! Antec Trio Rail 650watt / OCZ Mod Stream 600 Watt / CoolerMaster IGreen 600 watt or if your got the extra cash the "ultimate" unit the Seasonic S12 600 watt

enjoy unfortunatley you have learned a hard lesson what cheap PSU's cost! in the end they are no deal at all!

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Unfortunatley, this is the only system in the house. So, Its either troubleshoot one component at a time or just start all over. I figure no matter what though I need a good PSU. ;)

Thanks,
Richard
Well it's quite obvious about the PSU, but I think you might need a good friend to help you too or a retailer who is willing to help you check the remaining parts of your system to see what is faulty or Good. Alternative is to get a compatable mobo system and see what will work with it, keep the working parts for backup.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.