Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i just ordered parts for 5 new systems. The first 4 machines I put together have started up and ran fine but I am having trouble with number 5.

These machines have new Biostar mobo's, new Intel cpus, new RAM, new PSU's, and used western digital hard drives.

When I power up the machine the power supply fan comes on so I assume the PSU is not the problem. The CPU fan comes on, and the case fan comes on.

The case power light does not come on, and video is not coming on either.

Does this scenario ring a bell with anyone?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Swap the Power Supply out with one of the others see if it then boots, you do have all the standoffs in the correct places correct?
Heres another thing, 2 of the cases have raised standoffs almost like 1/4"-3/8" bumps coming out. I hadn't ever seen that before but apparently some cases have them. On those 2 cases I have the motherboard setting directly on those built in standoffs.

The one I put together earlier is working just fine so I assumed the raised built in standoffs were ok.

I will try swapping out the powersupply and see if that works.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The raised bumps take the place of the standoffs if it does not fire up by swapping supplies pull the board out to the bench and see if it will boot.
Sometimes the solder on the back of the board is where it should not be and can make contact.
Thanks Wrench, it turned out to be a bad power supply.

Maybe you can have one more bit of advice for me. I've never gotten a bad power supply out of the box before like this.

The power supply apparently burned out the motherboard, and possibly the CPU too but I have no way of safely testing that atm.

I know we can exchange out the PSU, what I am not sure about is if we would be able to exchange out the mobo and cpu if that is damaged as well (due to the faulty PSU)?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.