Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I recently upgraded my OS from Win 98 to Win 2K professional. When asked if I wanted to keep old files or install the whole new OS, I went with the upgrade option and kept all my files. During the installation I got some compatibility issues warnings before I continued. The warnings said my fax modem & audio card were not compatible for Win 2K. I went ahead and upgraded but sure enough I do not have audio nor fax modem. I have tried to add the fax modem manually, but the wizard does not detect it, and when I pick it out from a list, it installs it, but does not work. My question is, can I get this items to work? Or will I have to buy compatible devices? Before I upgraded all devices were working fine. This is my system info: HP Pavillion- 6653C, 533 Mhz Intel Celeron, 256 MB. The Fax modem I have is the following:
Modem
Rockwell Chameleon combo card
(supports V.90 K56 Flex protocols)
Data Speed
56 Kbps
Fax Speed
Up to 14.4 Kbps
Plug and Play
Yes
Hayes Compatible
Yes
Data Compression
V.42 bis
Error Correction
v.42
COM Port (default)
IRQ (default)
Variable
EIA Fax Commands
Class 1

And here's the Sound Audio info:
Compatibility
3-D Stereo, PCI, 16-bit sound
Controller
AMC97 codec
Noise Cancellation
Yes
Line Out
Yes
3-D Spatializer
Yes
Wavetable
Yes
Tone Control
No
Microphone
With HP Pavilion Multimedia Display
Speakers
HP/Polk Audio “E” stereo speakers (left and right)

Does anyone know if I can just download a driver and get this things to work? Help would be appreciated. Thanks. :sayyes:

·
Registered
796 Posts
read before upgrading

You might find some valuable information here. Although there is not a direct link to the driver that you are looking for, I found it interesting so see that HP does not support windows 2000. I didn't see any drives on this site for 2000. You may be able to find the driver patch somewhere, but I am not sure where. It is always important to read your manufacturer's web site before upgrading. Especially if you have a proprietary piece of equipment like HP, Compaq or Dell.

Check this site:

HP Home site

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, just to get closure on this issue, i wanted to update my end result. i found all the drivers needed on driverguide dot com and sucessfully loaded them on my system. i was able to correct the problems with the fax modem & audio. i still need to do more research as far as any more compatability problems that might arise, but generaly the pc is working great, and a lot faster than when I had win 98. hop3 this thread helps out somebody else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.