Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I am using a retail full version of Windows XP Pro. I just built a new computer but I wanted to keep my old HD. I have done this before, but this time it is not working. The computer will not boot into windows, I recieve an error message that windows\system32\config\system is currupt or missing. This is an expected error, the MS solution is to use windows repair from the first screen on the Windows setup. My problem is that when I try to use windows setup It loads all the files then says, "starting windows" and the computer restarts. I never get to the setup menu. I've tried tweaking my bios settings, but to no avail. If anyone could help I would be very greatful, system config follows.

MSI 670 Nforce 1066mhz FSB motherboard
Pentium 4 3.06ghz 533mhz FSB
1GB corsair 667mhz PC6400
200GB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda (Using IED)
650w Coolmax Power Supply (SLI Certified)
512MB nvidia 7600 GT
Sound Blaster Audigy 2

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
200GB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda (Using IED)
is this an ide drive or a sata drive running as ide

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Since you've moved to new hardware, Windows is in "panic-mode".

Boot to your retail CD and do a repair installation. This will refresh XP and get the correct drivers in line.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Hardware problems/incompatibility are the obstacles that interrupt a repair or full installation.

That particular drive comes in PATA 100 and SATA 150. If its SATA you'll need to load it drivers specially.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, found out that the HD is a sata. but i've lost the disk, so i'm gonna go to the Seagate website and try the drivers.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
read the manual and find out which driver you have to load with f6
with mine it was the raid driver as i was using a raid capable port

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.