Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 4 month old netbook running XP Home (2002) SP3, haven't had any problems installing Windows updates until KB978380 and KB972581, which could not be installed. I went to the Windows Update site and manually downloaded the exe files to my desktop to install, but neither one will work, giving the message "The detection failed, this can be due to a corrupted installation database."

I've tried clearing my temp files and my C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder, as well as verifying genuine Windows software, and still get the same message. Any ideas?

·
TSF Enthusiast
994 Posts
I read your log where ****** assisted you and see you have turned Windows Updates on as suggested. That would have been the first item I would have asked you to check.

You may like to run through my Windows Update tutorial from Method 2 onwards....
"The detection failed, this can be due to a corrupted installation database."
I am not sure what the meaning is of the quoted passage from your initial post, but it would not hurt for you to run sfc /scannow to make sure you have no missing or corrupt .dll files within your Operating System. This action should be part of your monthly maintenance to keep you computer running well.

let us know,

kind regards,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. Actually, that other thread for for a different computer.

Anyway, I just ran sfc and it went through its scan but didn't do anything else, no messages.

I successfully ran the dll commands in your tutorial, but get the same messages as before when trying to install the two updates manually.

Just went through methods 2 through 4 in your tutorial, attempting to update after each. Trying again...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.