Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded a few things on my system (yeah, I stay a bit behind what's new) and when I switched over to the new mobo/video card I have a problem with any type of image that has transparencies associated with it rendering properly.

A few Microsoft XP icons have consistent issues with a few pixels not shading (showing as black), as well as a few images (such as the image of the monitor on the desktop->properties->settings tab, which usually has a lot of clumped blacked pixels) and even a few regular JPGs (altho the JPGs have prolly been edited or something to change the coding).

Also, I have a few games I like to play, and when I do play one the overlays such as fog and HUD (heads-up display) images which are rendered on top of the main screen end up with artifacts and glitches. Rain is rendered as a bunch of white zig-zag lines that connect each drop while falling and the crosshairs end up rendering four big triangles that divide up the screen diagonally (see image attached). Many textures end up artifacting and rendering really badly too.

If I alt+tab to window the game while it is playing, the video memory cache clears and the artifacting and glitches are removed for a short time but they always return.

I had been using an nVidia 6200 128 meg AGP graphics card after I switched mobos, and the problem was much, much worse. Maybe the higher memory on the new video card (eGeforce 7100 256 meg tubro cache PCIe) renders the overlays cleaner, but there are still quite a lot of them.

I have removed and cleared the mobo's ram slots, and reseated the video card. I had to do a clean install of XP as there were a couple problems with the change over to basically a new system and have all the updates needed (minus things like WMP 10, etc.). I have also installed the latest VIA Hyperion Pro v5.10a drivers, altho the VIA site said to just double click the .exe and that was it - no uninstalling the old ones or anything, so I dunno if that is going to be an issue (even tho the problem was there with both the older video card before the fresh install -and- the new-install drivers that came with XP and/or SP2).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Connection problem - had to log back onto network

Sorry for double post, I didn't think it posted and had to close out of CompuServe to reconnect. I don't see an edit button to delete the post.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.