Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current Laptop has XP but im buying a new one. All the new ones seem to come with vista. I dont have a windows XP disc as my laptop came wth it pre-installed. Is there a way I can put XP from my old one to my new one. I will not be using to versions of the same thing, as my old laptop will be going to a better place as it has no screen :sigh:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
First you need to verify that your new laptop will downgrade to XP.(Some don't).
Then I would suggest you do a search on this forum for Downgrade to XP. You will find a multitude of people who have gone down that path and the troubles and tribulations they have run into. It can be done, the question begs is it worth it? Your going to have to use Vista or Win7 sometime in the future. Win7 is a free download and is good for about 1 year( its Xp with some bells and whistles, I tried it for a couple of hours ).

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
You can also order laptops with XP pre-installed. They're usually in business notebooks (rather than the home lines) (not sure why though - I suspect Microsoft has a hand in denying home users access to XP). I'm not sure how widely XP is still offered across vendors, but it's available pre-installed on many HP lines of business notebooks.

But if you want a specific model that doesn't have XP, look here for downgrade rights
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9040318
You can use your Vista key for XP if it's business vista or ultimate, but not home (no downgrade rights for home users). You have to provide your own XP CD though and you can use the XP key during installation (use Vista key to activate over the phone).
And then you have to hunt for drivers, which is a bit of work, but doable.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
if xp came preinstalled you cannot legally transfer it to another laptop, you will have to purchase a full retail version of xp if you want to install it on your new laptop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.