Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem with windows 2000 would not boot up. It said a file was missing or corrupt. I have no access to a windows 2000 cd but did have a windows xp reinstallation cd. I installed windows xp on my laptop. I now would like to get all of my files from windows 2000 on the xp system. Is there anyway I can do that? :4-dontkno Remember I can not boot up windows 2000. Thanks for all you help.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Did you install XP on the Win 2000 laptop? Did you format the hard drive or remove the partition for Windows 2000? If you formatted your hard drive or deleted the partition for Windows 2000 when you installed XP you also deleted all files on that partition.

If you go to My Computer can you see the old Win 2000 files or partition on the hard drive?

BMR777

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not delete windows 2000. I can find the files going to my computer/drive c/program files. However when I click on any of the programs they will not open. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
You will need to reinstall the programs. Your files, like documents, pictures, music files, etc are still on the hard drive, but all of the registry entries in Windows 2000 required to run programs don't exist in the new install of XP. Reinstall your programs and they will work for you.

BMR777

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I think you should just be able to delete then the C:\WINNT folder which will delete all Windows 2000 files, assuming that XP is installed to the C:\Windows folder. Just make sure before you delete the C:\WINNT folder that any files you need are not in it or in subfolders, for instance files from your old Documents and Settings or Desktop in Windows 2000 may be inside of the C:\WINNT folder in places like My Documents or something.

I have never deleted an OS this way but it should work I would think. Just MAKE SURE that all of the files you need to keep are not in the C:\WINNT folder or any of its subfolders. Proceed at your own risk. :)

BMR777

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.