Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quick question, if I did this, instead of using ghost, to transfer my dual boot 98 se/xp home system to a new sata hard drive (from ide), would it work?

1: partition the drive appropriately
2: install 98 on the new drive
3: install xp on the new drive (you have 30 days to activate so it will work short-term)
4: back up my registry on the old operating systems.
5: boot on the new drive (which boots but doesn't have the files and registries transfered yet), and copy all the files to it but not only that, also copy the old registries and use it on the new partitions.

If I did this, would I be able to boot on the new drive, and would my software still work without having to reinstall everything?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
You could do it the easy way
Download XXCLONE (freeware) from the link in my signature, follow the tutorial HERE and clone your boot partition then clone your other partitions without making them bootable

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, you are like a divine helper, I just went in to xxclone and changed the boot record of my already cloned stuff and it WORKS already.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Actually, I have a new problem now. I think its microsoft security stuff.

I can boot into xp fine on the new disk if I set it in bios to the new disk, and leave the other disk inside. As soon as I remove the other disk, it starts to boot, but then immediately logs off.

If anyone knows the solution for this, it would be appreciated. If not, I'll find the answer soon enough.

Maybe I should redo the ghosting with the new program, as I originally ghosted with Norton and then just changed the boot records with your software.

Another possibility is trouble from going from IDE to Sata. Maybe you can't do that.

Another possibility is that I have to get my new drives to be labeled "d" and "c" like my old ones.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Clone all partitions with XXCLONE and you will have no problems as you know it is simple to do.
Ghost may have put the boot onto the other hardrive

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured it out, I didn't have to re-ghost.

I, in XP, simply went into regedit to change my system drive to D and my win98 drive to C while changing my old drives to Y and Z. Then I rebooted, crossed my fingers, umplugged the molex on my old harddrive, and was pleasantly surprised when it actually booted as I knew I took a big risk messing with the registry to change system drives.

BTW, 98SE is working as well as it was before, which is not very well lol, with little configuration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.