Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I've been trying to move a whole bunch of files from my old laptop to my new desktop. A friend told me that it was possible by creating a network for the laptop and desktop and transferring the files that way. That's all he told me and I have no idea what to do. I have a cable connection for both devices. And I have both Ethernet and crossover cables. Does that help? How exactly do I make the network and transfer the files? Thanks to anyone who can help!!!

PS: Sorry if this is really complicated....

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you are using a cross over cable you'll need to assign each computer it's own IP address.

Control Panel>Network Connection and right click on your local area connection and go to properties, click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Assign workstation 192.168.1.20 and assign your laptop 192.168.1.21. For the subnet mask use 255.255.255.0 and I believe you can leave the default gateway blank, if it is necessary, just assign it 192.168.1.1 same thing goes for the DNS.

On the laptop, create a username and password to match the one from your desktop.

On your laptop, create a folder, right click on it and go to sharing, and share the folder, you'll need to assign the permissions. If you have any third party firewall, disable those.

On your desktop go to Start>Run type in \\192.168.1.21 or whatver the ip address you assigned to your laptop, then click on OK, it should open up a window which shows which folders are shared on the laptop, just go ahead and copy everything you want there.

On your laptop, just browse to that shared folder and you'll see all the files you copied.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey! Thanks for such a quick response! Well, I followed the instructions that you gave me, except for the create a username and password part. I wasn't sure how to do that. Is that necessary? I tried to hook them up without that part and it didn't work. My desktop said that it couldn't find the host when I typed in the Run box \\192.168.1.21 . I double-checked the numbers and cables and everything. I hope you can figure out what I'm doing wrong... If that username part is necessary, could you show me how to do it? Sorry, I'm so slow when it comes to computers... :sad: Thank you again!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another thing...

I forgot to mention that when I try to set the settings to share the folder on the laptop, an error message pops up that says: "An error occured while trying to share [folder name]. The Server service is not started. The shared resource was not created at this time."

No idea what that means, but I hope it helps you figure out what the problem is...

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Go to start,run and type services.msc and click ok. Scroll down the list and look for server. Double click on it and click start. Also click startup to automatic.

For the users. Go to the control panel and choose the user control panel. You should see the place to add a new user. Make sure the user name add password are the same as the desktop.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grrrr....

I did everything you told me to do and it still won't work... :4-dontkno When I do Run \\192.168.1.21 an error message pops up that says: "\\192.168.1.21 The network path was not found."

Is this really impossible?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.