Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
transfer of data from corrupt hd to good hd? [HELP ME!]

hello guys,

first time posting in this forum. i've got a situation, any help would be appreciated...

i have over 70,000 files trapped inside this external usb 2.0 drive [drive: western digital - 120 gigs // external casing: adaptec: 3.5 mobile drive]

[pic below]
http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/_eol/usb/drives/ACS-100NK/index.htm

i recently found out that this drive was corrupt. called micro center to inquire about corrupt drive data recovery services - $30 for diagnostic test to SEE how much data can be recovered, and between $90-$250 depending on how much data i can actually recover.

i do NOT want to pay this much!

i've come across a software program, stellar-phoenix, which seems to have the potential to transfer files from the bad hd onto the good hd, but it is incredibly hard to read & know exactly what one is doing.

i did manage to perform a preliminary scan of my hard drive [most of the data appeared to be there], but b/c data recovery is a very sensitive area & one mistake could cost me all of the data, i need help... please.

questions:

1. is there any type of step-by-step tutorial i could find for the transfer of data from a corrupt drive to a good one?

2. is there any software that makes this process alot easier?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it wont fully recognize in windows xp-sp2, or vista [currently running].

at first i thought it was a complication between vista and my drive, but when i clean-installed back to xp-sp2, the same thing happened.

when i connect // disconnect the usb hard drive, i hear the "ba-doop" plug & play sound, but when i go to "my computer" i don't see the drive, nor do i see the "autoplay" window that usually appears while my files are loading up.

i scanned the drive using stellar-phoenix, and it appears that i still have data on the drive, but the program is so damn confusing that i am scared to go any further, for fear that i might accidentally lose my data.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I would suggest trying a different USB cable, a different USB port, and if it still does not work try using a different computer. It could be Windows causing this problem and if you did an upgrade to vista instead of a fresh install the problem could still be there.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Personally I would remove the hard drive from the external enclosure, then install it internally on the IDE controller

from there see how things look ????? many times this problem is caused by the USB interface

once installed in the computer and connected directly to an IDE channel, if you still have quirky files

scan them with Getdataback (runtime.org) excellent recovery program

once the drive is sorted, we can clone or back up the contents

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you guys so much. especially linderman!

that getdataback program is the shizznit! easy to read, even found .pdf doc on runtime.org that helped me even further! i have all my music files recovered to my c: drive.

from this day forward, i will never underestimate the power of a good backup!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.