Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helloes,
I had an accident with the laptop yesterday. During an installation of the game Dreamfall something went bad and after a restart I end up in the Windows startup repair screen. I tried launching windows in safe mode as well as "last known cofiguration" but it keeps restarting and ends up in repair screen again.

A big problem is the laptop screen is broken so I have used an external VGA monitor. However, there wont be any display on the monitor until I have entered windows. I cannot use the screen while in the start up screen. I can see about 1/4 of the left part on the laptop screen but it is still hard to navigate without the external screen.

So firstly, is there any way to switch to the VGA screen through BIOS or during startup somehow? I use the FN+F4 key to switch between screen modes in Windows. Tried to change the FN key setting in BIOS but not sure if I managed to enable or disable it. Tried pressing the FN+F4 while in BIOS but no effect.

Laptop is a HP G62, about 3 years old.

In case this is not working out, I might need to transfer files. But since I cannot use the regular tools like Windows easytransfer as the laptop is stuck in bootscreen I need something else. Freeware prefered if possible since it will only mean one transfer. Maybe if I can access an USB and the HDD on the laptop somehow through a bootCD or during boot? But it would help if I can switch to the VGA screen during this so I can navigate easy.

Anyone know how to solve this? I am out of ideas...

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion.

Well I figured it would be better buying a new laptop instead of a new screen, using an external screen for as long as the old laptop keeps going. I mean, it still works, the problem is I cannot make windows start. Of course I could make a system restore but that would involve a lot of interaction in blind.

What I need is some way of making the external screen switching work in boot or BIOS setup screen or somewhere, so that I can see what happens. I managed to run Startup repair but it ended up in the HP Recovery console, and well... there I cannot see.

So if I cannot get into windows at least I want to transfer some files, but again I might need support to switch to another screen..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bumping this thread.

I managed to transfer files to a USB stick through Puppylinux boot CD, worked on external screen.

However, I still need help to make the external screen available during boot, BIOS and Startup Repair.

And NO, will not buy a spare part for the screen. As long as the external screen works I can manage. I don't know how long the laptop will be running so investing lots of money in a spare display could be a waste if it breaks down...

I can see 1/4 of the left part of the screen, but it is not enough to see the System recovery options screen. Doing a System repair or complete reinstall would be impossible if I cannot see.

So, external screen access help please. :confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.